Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do I have enough milk??

Default do I have enough milk??

My baby is 4 weeks old, I am a new mother. my breast milk arrived a few days later than the average woman but it arrived and that is what is important. Often my baby passes gas or has a bowel movements while suckling, and sometimes he is whimpering while this is happening but I realize it is for the discomfort. Over the last few days I have noticed that he is whimpering, fussy, sometimes angry and even crying hard while I am feeding him, and this is happening without gas problems. I started questioning if he is complaining because I don't have enough milk, that he is still hungry and as he suckles nothing comes out. does anyone have something similar happening to them??

Default Re: do I have enough milk??

He may be sleepy, tired, etc or just needing comfort. How's diaper output? That's the best way to gauge whether he's getting enough milk.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Babies fuss for many, many reasons, including:
    - milk flow is too fast
    - milk flow is too slow
    - baby needs to poop, pee, or pass gas
    - baby is tired
    - baby prefers to be held in a different position
    - baby wants to switch breasts
    - baby has an ear infection or other illness
    - baby is teething
    As long as diaper output is normal and baby is being fed on demand, there's no reason to suspect supply problems.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sometimes babies fuss when there is too much milk too haha. Does your milk ever spray out? If your LO has been exclusively breastfed from day one and on demand then it is very very unlikely that you wouldn't have enough. As babies get older they become more efficient at getting the milk out of the breast and are often quicker. If your LO starts fussing try burping and then switching breasts. If he seems done then don't push it and if he wants to nurse again 5 minutes later let him. It sounds like you are doing great I'm sure you have plenty of milk!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

i remember feeling the same way as you when my lo was around 4 weeks old. you probably do have enough if you are getting lots of wet diapers but if you still think that you don't, and the baby is fussing at the breast, just keep offering b/c more demand will lead to more supply.
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

thank you for responding!this diaper measuring is difficult! on average i change his diaper 7-9 times a day. sometimes it is full of pee other times he has had a bowel movement, but on average he has 2 big bowel movements a day, the rest are smaller amounts. i tend to change his diaper after feeding him the first breast before the second. he was fussy again this evening. i really don't want add formula to his diet. i really would like to only give him breast milk, as long as I know he healthy i won't add the formula but it is breaking my heart seeing him unsatisfied. it is harder than i thought.

Sounds like your baby's diaper output is right on target.

Does the fussiness/appearance of being unsatisfied strike at any particular time of day? Many babies have a fussy time in the afternoon/ evening, and this fussiness can be severe, and cn be mistaken for hunger or signs of low supply. Some things that can help a fussy baby:
    - white noise
    - calm house- dim the lights, turn off stereo and television
    - wear baby in a sling
    - motion- rock, stroll, bounce, swing, etc.
    - fresh air- take baby outside
    - warm bath
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It sounds like he is getting plenty of milk. I would not add formula. Have you tried something like a moby wrap? I adore mine.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

My lo gets fussy too during some (not all) feedings. He seems to be like SUPER hungry during these times. He make the hungry/I'm gonna devour your nipple face. Unlatches frequently, fussed, cries if I can't get him latched back on fast enough, sometimes he cries while nipple is still in his mouth. I usually try to nurse then after a time where I feel like should have been long enough to get milk, I feed him some ebm after from earlier in the day. Seems to work like a charm. I chalk it up to "growth spurts" which are completely normal for a baby want to eat a lot!

Instead of supplementing with a bottle, keep switching sides. It helps build your supply to match the growth spurts and it will eventually soothe baby. Many have a cranky evening time; babies are overwhelmed by the end of a busy day and often cry. Try baby wearing or going to bed and nursing laying down in a quiet room.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!