Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Clamping

Default Clamping

Hi Ladies!

So here we are with DD3, currently 61 hours old. She's doing really well! Poops have just started to turn greeny-yellow and slightly seedy from the black tar. Nice to be assured that milk is coming in and getting into her.

My issue is her clamping down on me. I'm bruised on both sides. She eventually lightens up and suckles well, but those first 20 seconds are I try to break her latch and relatch her, but it just seems to tick her off and she clamps down even more. It's almost easier (although more painful) to just let her clamp and then relax. But I know it's taking a toll on me and I don't want to damage my nipples. We're currently using a football hold as it seemed to work best for us while working with the LC's in the hospital.

Any hints on how to teach her not to clamp down? I'm sure she'll eventually learn not to and / or grow out of it. I mean, she's still just brand new! But if I can help her along a bit, I'd like to.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Default Re: Clamping

Hi Congrats!!!!

You really do want to avoid nipple injury if possible, so your concerns are valid! Besides making sure you unlatch baby carefully to avoid even more damage from pulling baby off, and keeping your nipples in good supple shape with lanolin or expressed breastmilk or something, I am not sure...

Clamping is sometimes caused due to forceful letdown, but I would have doubts that is the issue this young. You want to generally stick with whatever position that works best, but you may want to try some laid back positions? This type of positioning tends to help baby feel really secure, so may help with clamping esp. if clamping is some kind of a stress reaction in baby. Also just seems to help generally with ouchy latch.

Are you engorged at all? Can make latch more difficult.

Does she clamp with each letdown or just at the beginning of nursing sessions?

DD1 clamped down for the first month. If I recall, expressing a little before feedings helped and massaging her little cheeks gently while nursing got her to relax a bit. Oddly, we too were using football hold. I switched to cross cradle after a while, but don't think the clamping and the position were related.

I think my letdown was too fast for her, but she was a preemie, so she had a teeny mouth and a lot of breast to navigate. Getting her as comfortable and relaxed as possible were about the only things I could do. I did use a nipple shield occasionally when the damage to the nipple was getting bad and it seemed to help her control the flow (lots of milk running everywhere), but don't recommend it unless you need to since they can damage supply.

I wasn't engorged before, but I am now. I am scary big. I mean, my jiggly post-preggo belly looks little compared to these things!

I tried expressing some milk by hand but couldn't. I don't know if DD3 is actually getting anything. I know I'm bruised, there is a little bit of scabbing. I don't know if that's what is stopping the milk from coming out?

I found my pump (we had to dig it out). I'm going to try pumping to take some of the edge off. I'm considering giving what I express to her in a bottle. She is trying so hard, but she's getting harder to wake up. She's pooping like a champ, but concerned about the sleeping. I'd really like to know that she's getting something. My midwife will hopefully be coming over tomorrow (she was due to come today, but she was getting slammed by births).
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

and

If she is pooping, she is getting something. What comes out must have gone in.

Engorgement is a b, but it won't last forever. Engorgement can actually mean your breasts are congested with fluid. So do anything you can to keep the milk flowing, even if it means jumping in the shower and just massaging the milk out. Pump only at a very low setting so as not to bring too much more fluid into the areola. Lie on your back to let gravity take the fluid out of the breasts. Try cold compresses on the engorged breasts for relief and to reduce swelling, try reverse pressure softening to help baby latch, or latch baby right after pumping, hand exressing or massaging some milk out.

See: http://www.llli.org/faq/engorgement.html

How are her wet dipes mama? And do the poops look yellowish?
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

My midwife came today. DD3 is doing WONDERFULLY! She was 7lbs, 6oz at birth (1:31am Thursday). On Friday morning at 8am, she was 7lbs even. A drop of 5% which is completely acceptable. My midwife weighed her today and she was 7lbs, 4oz!! I can't believe she put on 4oz in 2 days and is almost back to her birth weight! So babe hasn't been affected at all by the clamping or now, the engorgement. Her diapers are already yellow and seedy, about 8 - 10 diapers a day (mostly dirty). She's doing GREAT!!!

My left side now has a scab which bleeds a bit from time to time. I've taken a hot shower to help relieve pressure and have lanolin on. If I'm really engorged my midwife said that pumping 1oz from each side to soften up enough for her to latch is fine. Obviously try not to do more so that I don't signal for MORE production. She said it's probably a combination to the fact that I've nursed before (so my body knows what's going on) and the fact that babe has nursed so well and frequently from the beginning, I've received the signals to produce loud and clear! Basically to continue what I'm doing, careful with the latching as I can and rest assured that babe is just fine. Hopefully my supply will balance out soon!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Weaned @ 15 months

and

This sounds painful I hope it clears up soon for you and it's great to hear that your LO is doing so well!
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz