Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When does it go from clog to mastitis?

Default When does it go from clog to mastitis?

Hi ladies! I have had this recurring clogged duct on my left side, its been there for about 3 months. Last night I slept with my son most of the night because he has a cold. As a result he was latched on most of the night and when I woke this morning it hurt really bad and is very red.

How do you know when it goes from just a clog to something more serious like mastitis? I took a shower just now and tried to get it moving and it seemed to go down a bit but it still hurts.
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

Default Re: When does it go from clog to mastiti

Symptoms of mastitis:
    - flulike feelings (achiness, malaise, chills)
    - fever
    - red patch or streaks on the skin of the breast

Sounds to me like you may be coming down with it. If you can get that duct emptied out, you can probably beat it without a trip to the doc. But if you start feeling really sick, and can't get it opened up, see the doc. Meanwhile, lots of heat, massage, nursing or pumping, and no bra!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have been having a lot of weakness, especially in my legs. I haven't really had any other symptoms though. I guess I will try and get it out in the shower again tonight. But I can't go braless, i have school!!
    the little monster 4/22/11
    squealy piggy 7/1/13
    CDing baby-wearing coffee addicted mama!

when I had a very bad clogged duct and couldn't wear a bra at all, I wore a tight tank top for even support. No shelf bra, b/c even that was too much pressure, just a tight tank under my top. Depending on the size of your breasts you might get away with it. Hope you feel better very soon!
    march 2011... the light of my life

i love my little one