Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: explain BLS please ??

Question explain BLS please ??

Starting 5 1/2 month old on rice cereal for about a week now and he doesn't want anything to do with it he will only open his mouth once mabey twice then cry till I stop , I seen some women talking about bls , but don't know what that stands for , opions please , thankss

Default Re: explain BLS please ??

BLS = baby-led solids. Instead of spoon-feeding, you put baby's solid foods on a tray in front of him, and allow him to maneuver them into his own mouth. BLS is easier for mom (no messing with spoons, purees, or cereals), cheaper (no jar foods to buy), and arguably more healthy (because baby determines how much he wants to eat). BLS is a terrific option for babies who resist being spoon-fed, like my first baby, who would not allow anyone to put a spoon in her mouth. She wanted to do everything herself (and still does).

Good starter foods for self-feeders: cheerios, mashed beans, mashed peas, shredded soft-boiled meats, small chunks of soft fruit or soft vegetables.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

There's a PDF booklet on BLS (also called Baby Led Weaning, BLW) here: http://www.baby-led.com/
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

We did BLS without knowing what it was with DS1 because he wouldn't eat baby food and wanted to feed himself.

You might take a look at this thread for more info:http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ht=baby+solids
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thank you ladies

I just started DS on BLS. I slice up avocado and squash into sticks and give it to him. It works so well!
    July 27 2011

How old is he?
    Mommy to one little boy who changed my life 8/30/11 , loves mommys milk