Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What's safe for a teething 3.5mth old?

Default What's safe for a teething 3.5mth old?

DD2 is teething. I recognize the agony from when DD1 was teething. The 2 bottom teeth have that white appearance and the 2 teeth on each side of those are swollen like little peas She keeps really chomping down on her hands leaving impressions, will tug at my nip, and is a drooling queen! I'm going through about 4-5 burp clothes/day.
    I just put the teething rings in the fridge, but what can I give her?

Baby orajel says to ask the dr for infants <4mths old.
    Frozen wash clothes= not allowed, right, because of the water she'd drink?
    Anything else she really can't hold it in her mouth just yet.

Any recommendations ladies?
    I'm a SAHM to
    #1 Alyssa 5/26/09 BF for exactly 25 1/2mths
    #2 Emily 11/7/11 completely self-weaned at 20 mths
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

New sights, new goals, new directions...

Default Re: What's safe for a teething 3.5mth ol

what about expressing some breastmilk and soak the wash cloth in that and freeze it?
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

frozen breastmilk in a mesh feeders is great for teething pain. I used to break pieces off of my frozen milk to use. You can also give tempra.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

I am not sure if they are good for her age or not, but I just started using Hyland's teething tabs. They are great!! I also do momsicles in a mesh feeder and he loves them.

http://www.hylandsteething.com/

FYI: my pedi told me not to use the baby tooth gel because it can make the back of their throats numb and make it harder for them to eat and is a choking hazard.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

I'll try those suggestions. Thank you ladies.
    I do have the hyland's teething gel I used to use with DD1. Of course the tablets would be difficult because of the tongue thrust reflex, but is the gel safe for a 3.5 mth old?
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13

We never tried it, but my doctor said to rub some benadryl on their gums- said it works similar to the orajel, but is safe for wee little ones, and works better without numbing the back of the throat? We are still waiting for more teeth so I cannot vouch for its effectiveness, but he has been a doc forever, and swears by it... We never had any luck at all with the teething tablets.

The teething tablets melt almost on contact. You may be surprised how quickly you can get them into her. Can you do Tylenol?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

I got one of those ice cube trays that are tiny cubes and freeze some of my milk in them and then put them in a mesh bag like several of the pps have said. I use the Hylands teething tablets as well. My ped also said not to use the baby orajel as it can numb the gag reflex. My ped said tylenol is safe from very very early and recommends giving it before the two month shots if you vaccinate. I use Tempra as well. Also I put the teething tablets in A2s cheek so she can't push them out and they are pretty much gone the second they touch any moisture. Good luck!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I couldn't find the mesh bag or Hyland's teething tablets (must have been out) at the store I do have the it in gel form, but:
    a) does that have a numbing effect like the orajel that's not recommended to use?
    b) weren't these recalled for not being safe I thought there was something about Hyland's that wasn't safe, so I think that's why I have some left over, I don't recall.

If so, then my next attempt is the benadry or Tylenol. If I understood correctly, they are just applied to the area?
    I didn't have to deal with teething with DD1 until she was about 7mths old so giving meds was a little easier I guess I'm going to have to place my order for the amber teething bracelet soon.
    I'm a SAHM to
    #3 Victoria 12/16/13