Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reflux, Restricted Diet, Frustrated

Default Reflux, Restricted Diet, Frustrated

Hi all,
    Does anyone have good info on what I should be eating to help with my daughters GERD and possible milk protein sensitivity? Also, is it possible that overactive letdown and oversupply are actually the problem rather than GERD? I am a new mother, my LO is 1 month old. We initially struggled with breastfeeding due to Jaundice, overactive letdown and overproduction. Now we have the hang of breastfeeding, but she has symptoms of GERD. I took her to the pediatrician who prescribed Zantac 3x per day. I have been giving the Zantac and seem to see an immediate impact, but also changed diet. I don't want her on meds, but I don't want her in pain either. There is a ton of info online re: GERD diets, but they seem to conflict. I am down to eating only a few foods and I am getting very frustrated. Also, selfishly I miss good tasting foods. Please any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Default Re: Reflux, Restricted Diet, Frustrated

I wouldn't recommend restricting your diet at all unless you have specific feedback that the foods you are eating are causing your daughter problems. Has your doctor recommended changing your diet?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

I asked if I could do anything and she said to try limiting milk, caffeine(which I already avoided), citrus, and spicy foods. I would rather limit my foods than have her on meds if that would work, but I'm not sure how or how to tell if the diet is working.

If her reflux is under control right now, you could try not giving her the reflux meds and see what happens.
    Teal

Will do, any idea how soon i would see the symptoms come back? Also, if she is bad off the meds and fine on them am I horrible for wanting to go back to a regular diet? Yes, I know I sound like I'm begging for support to rationalize a less restricted diet and to be honest I am. It is really hard to keep up with the restrictions and keep up my energy and spirits. I really want the truth though. I would do anything to keep the little one from being in pain.

True food allergy/sensitivity via breastmilk is very rare. Diary is the most common culprit but again, this is rare, and symptims of food sensitivity includes things like unexplained rashes, unusual dificulty sleeping, blood in the stool.

Depending on what the specific symptoms are, OALD, far more common, absolutely will cause many issues that are often blamed on a food sensitivity and/or GERD. Or having OALD could exacerbate GERD. And the effects of OALD can be controled without meds or diet changes of any kind. So taking steps to work on the OALD, if you have indications that is the issue, may be warranted long before meds for GERD and certainly before limiting your own diet, which is very unlikely the issue wiht GERD, unless (I am guessing) you consume alot of very irritating things like caffeine or chocolate.

All babies have some reflux, and it usually bothers them not a bit. They spit up and life goes on. If it is extreme and painful for baby, there are other things besides meds to try, like holding baby upright for a while after feeding, burping frequently, offering very frequent feeedings as opposed to long, infrequent ones. But some babies do respond well to meds, so that may be somethign to consider if it is truly GERD, which, however, is notoriously overdiagnosed.

Have to run, look up forceful letdown on www.kellymom.com for great tips on handling OALD.

No, seriously, as a mom with reflux kids (who do need medication) AND kids with food allergies (for which I do have to restrict my diet), I would encourage every mom to restrict her diet ONLY if it is clear that it needs to be restricted. It is really, really hard to do. And only worth it if it actually helps. I would bet that you will see a worsening of reflux symptoms very quickly if you discontinue the meds and she needs them. If you discontinue them and she is fine, then it might be diet related, and you can keep her off the meds, and then try adding back in one food at a time to your diet to see if it brings reflux symptoms back.

For example, my son has a lot of food allergies and sensitivities, one of which, dairy, caused his reflux to be WAY worse. He needed the reflux medication even while I was dairy free, but sometime after a year, he was able to wean off the meds. But even then, for the next couple of years, he would spit up if he had dairy. So, for him, it was a combo thing. He needed the meds for the underlying reflux, but foods also exacerbated it, if that makes sense.
    Teal

Thank you, duckpond. That does make sense. It is such a complex issue, but it helps to know what has worked for others.
    lllmeg- I will check out that link. Unfortunately, I think my baby does have the kind of reflux that appears very painful (arching back, crying and choking before during and after spit ups. . .), but I have also taken steps to combat OALD including laid back nursing, block feeding and pulling her off just following let down then back on once forceful output subsides. I also use your suggested strategies, "holding baby upright for a while after feeding, burping frequently, offering very frequent feeedings as opposed to long, infrequent ones." I do have a question about burping frequently though. I find that she doesn't burp easily. I usually hold her to my chest/shoulder or sitting upright in my lap and rub her back in an upward motion. Sometimes I try gently patting her back. I sometimes can do this for over 10 minutes with no result. Should I try longer or a different method? Could this be contributing to her difficulties?

As far as burping, I really don't know-I think if baby has difficulty burping, then that would indicate they may need not burp. Not all babies need to burp during or after feedings. My kids had GERD as babies (at least, they were diagnosed with it, I still wonder if it was really much more of an OALD issue) and I would do a sort of swing up/tilit action thing to get burps out. I also found I had to really pat fairly firmly baby on the back sometimes to help get them out. I think burping helped with cutting back on the frequency of the ginormous spit ups, but my kids also had those big painful GERDy burps that seemed to come up sometimes no matter what. So, how important it is to burp baby I suspect is largely indiviual.

My kids were both diagnosed with reflux and I know that I also had oald, although with my first I did not know what that was or that that was at least part of the issue. My oldest had a prevacid suspension for a few months, (he spit out the zantac and after I tasted it I understood why) which i do think helped somewhat. With my second, we controled the issue entirely with how I nursed (nursed laid back but with baby sort of upright, if that makes sense) and having baby more or less upright a good deal of the time. I even figure out how to lean him up against me/drape him over my side while bed sharing so I could still lie down while he got some upright time post night feedings. I never restricted my prefered diet, I am not milk drinker but I do eat cheese and yogurt. Both kids totally outgrew any serious issues by 6 months at the latest.

I tasted the Zantac and it is gross, but she takes it okay. Your description of how you nursed sounds like the way we do it most often and I think I will try to do that all the time. Today we are trying without the Zantac to see if there is any difference. She also had a cold and I wonder if that combined with my OALD was really the issue. So we will see how it goes. I plan to change one variable at a time, meds and foods along with looking at positioning and length/timing of feeds and hopefully figure out some rhyme or reason to it all. Maybe now that she is feeling better from the cold the positioning and such will be enough to help. Thank you all for your support. It is great to hear other peoples' experiences.