Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6wk old wrestling with nipple

Default 6wk old wrestling with nipple

Help, my 6-week old daughter has started wrestling with my nipples this week. I weaned her from using nipple shields quite easily over the past week (she prefers the real thing over silicone!), so maybe this behavior has to do with that? After she's been on the breast for a while and the milk flow has slowed she starts twisting, yanking, and pulling on my nipples. Now they are sore again - only bruised, no open wounds this time, but it really hurts when she nurses beacause she keeps doing it. I am guessing that she is trying to get more milk out faster? She is still swallowing at this point, although a lot less. I don't want to pull her off the breast because I'm afraid she'll miss out on the hindmilk. She also tends to slip off or pull off once the breast gets soft only to relatch herself on right away. When she's really done, she usually refuses to relatch or will rest her cheek on the breast and doze off (so cute!).

What can I do to get her to be more gentle and "respect" her food source?

Default Re: 6wk old wrestling with nipple

I don't have any answers, but I am watching this thread because my 6 week old baby boy is doing the same thing. Has been for a while now, but diapers seem okay and evenings are the only fussy times. It's exactly like you said, he's fine until the milk flow slows down and then he starts pulling himself off. He's not done, and wants more, but doesn't want to mess with the work of getting the slow flow out. I'll put him on the other side and he'll drink for just a minute or two and then he's done. I haven't seen any green poops, so I assume he's still getting hind milk, but the pulling off is pretty uncomfortable...not to mention IMPOSSIBLE to breastfeed in public. Frustrating to have to keep relatching. He doesn't even break latch when he pulls off. He stretches my boob out like a rubber band and lets it bounce back. LOL!

Just letting you know you're not alone and I'm interested to see what suggestions you get!

Lindsey

I too have this problem, and what a coincidence, my son is also 6 weeks! I notice, though, that he does this more when he's tired. It's like he does it to stay awake. He's actually been doing it less and less, so maybe it's just a phase. When he does do it, though, I usually change to a side lying position and support his head in my arm and hold my breast with the other hand and it makes it much harder to pull off or yank it around like a yoyo! It's kinda uncomfortable but it works! Maybe reducing stimuli will help too. Laying down next to me while he's eating is a sure fire way to make Asher eat while he's half asleep. And I agree with the 1st poster, their little drunken faces after a good meal is the cutest thing!!!!!
    Jennifer

Well it's nice to know we're not the only ones, but it'd be nice to get an answer or suggestions. My DD is doing the same thing although it seems to be mainly in the evening (often last feeding before bed), although it started midafternoon today. It makes me so sore that I dread her waking up for the next feeding, it's a good thing she sleeps a decent stretch at night so I have some time to "heal". She's only 4.5 weeks. I've tried switching positions, sides, location in the house and it doesn't seem to make any difference. The last two nights after I'm so sore that I can't take it anymore and frustrated that she keeps yanking off and going right back on, I've just taken her off and walked her around, tried the pacifier, etc and eventually she goes to sleep. Could this just her way of showing she's tired?
    Hopefully this phase passes soon!

Amy

My son did this. I called it "popping the boobie" and it would drive me crazy!! Unfortunately I could not find anything to stop him from doing this. Good news is, he did outgrow it. I know this is probably not helpful, but they should outgrow this.
    Imágenes adjuntas Imágenes adjuntas

you can try breast compressions, that will sometimes work for a baby that is pulling off. There are other reasons too.
    You could call your local lll leader and ask her what she thinks.

Okay ladies, I have a possible solution. While my DD was doing this mainly at her last feeding of the night, it has rapidly increased in frequency over the last week to where the only feedings that she wasn't doing the wrestling was during the night and first thing in the morning. I started rereading "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp, M.D. and he cites a study showing a peak in fussiness in babies at 6 weeks of age. He also states it's common for this to happen during or immediately after a feeding. So, long story short, I followed his 5 "S's" (swaddling, side/stomach position, shushing, swinging, sucking) and lo and behold, my DD was much easier today (granted, one day, does not success make, but it's a start). I also swaddled her during feedings and this really did seem to help, it didn't totally eliminate the problem, but it was better today. If you don't have this book, I highly recommend it, I think he gets alot of things right. I hope this helps, we'll see how it goes the rest of the night, but I was actually able to eat dinner AND clean up the kitchen tonight without DD screaming, and my nipples aren't sore (yet).
    I hope this helps you guys!

Amy
    '

Amy-I did read that book, but didn't remember the 6 wk fussiness peak. He actually hasn't been swaddled at all today and he normally is. Today has been the worst. I think he's gassy (I had cabbage last night), but figured it would be out of his system by now. Part of it is OALD, but he normally doesn't struggle every feeding like he has today. Today he's barely staying on 2 minutes without being DONE. And those 2 minutes are off and on and he's fussy the whole time.

Great to hear you may have found a solution. I may have to try that during feedings more and see how he does.

Lindsey

My 4 week old dd has been doing this on and off for a week. I actually had to go back to the nipple shield for one feeding, because she'd tugged and twisted so much. I sometimes find that the hungrier she is - or if she's stretched the time between feedings a little longer, the more twisting and pulling we get. We tend to have 2 good feeds for every wrestling one. I'm hoping that as she gets better at nursing, she'll tug less!