Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Plugged duct pain

Default Plugged duct pain

Hello! I'm nursing my second child and am currently experiencing my second very painful plugged duct. It's the same spot and Breast each time. I'm in a lot of pain and don't understand or can't figure out why this keeps happening. I never had one with my son and I nursed him over one year and ive already had one with my daughter and she's only 3 months. I'm wearing only nursing tanks or bras and she's a great feeder. I'm wondering if it's my night routine-I drink my nursing tea at night for her gassiness relief and some nights she sleeps 5-7 hits from her last feed and then when she gets up seems to nibble but I try to make sure both sides are as empty as can be. The other thing I've done diff with her vs my son is I hold her differently and nurse her lying down which I never did with my son. Is it common to get them in the same spots over and over? Im using heat,massage and pumping/nursing frequently but still no luck. It looks like I have a whitehead on my nipple but it won't "pop" so to speak. The last time it did and it was instant relief. I've read to take lecithin -has anyone had luck with that? I'll take any suggestions,advice anything. I'm in soo much discomfort and am scared of mastitis. Will it go away on its own with what im doing? I'm so worried. What can I do to prevent it? Thx

Default Re: Plugged duct pain

I've only gotten a couple plugged ducts but what works for me is to have DH suck them out. I pump right before so he's not overwhelmed with milk and he sucks them out for me. A bit odd but it works like magic. If you're desperate give it a go. Everything else you are doing sounds about right. Good luck!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

It is very common for plugs to crop up in the same place over and over again. This can happen due to breast anatomy, to baby's latch, to pressure placed on the breast by clothing, sleeping position, even a diaper bag... Because you have what sounds like a nipple blister (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html) in addition to the plug, I think the issue is probably related to your baby's latch. Latch issues are common with young, small babies, and also with teething babies.

If moist heat, massage, soaking, etc. don't make the blister pop, you can lance it yourself using a sterile needle. Some moms think they should go to a doctor for this, but I don't recommend it. It's much easier for you to know when you've gone too far with a needle than for anyone else to do it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

that happened to me with my third child, and I stood in the very warm shower with a wash cloth over my breast. I also would get a bowl of hot water and a washcloth, and every time I nursed on the right, I would place the hot cloth on my left breast. The next day that pain was gone. Having a
    plugged duct is really painful! I hope you get relief asap!!!

For me HOT HOT showers while massaging and doing some hand expression works the best. I nurse or pump right after the shower to help pull the milk out. I have never had a blister but have had plugged ducts on multiple occasions, every time I do compression's on one of my breasts I have a clog the next day (it took me a while to figure that one out).
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    teething babies.
    I forgot about that, explains all the recent ones that I have had. 4 in the last two weeks and W cut his first tooth last weekend. Thanks
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Thank u so much!! Ur links saved me! I sent my hubby to the store that day to get my supplies and it's helped so Much. I'm still in pain but not as bad. Now I seem to have constant milk blisters. Idk why? But thx ladies.

Milk blisters are very common when baby is teething and is changing her latch a bit to cope with sore gums. You can get several in a row.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"