Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Amoxicillin reaction, help?

Default Amoxicillin reaction, help?

I started taking amoxicillin on Wednesday for a sinus infection that refused to go away via any other treatment. For the last two days and especially nights DS (6 mos) has been having a bad reaction to it: he's got some hives on his arms but worse, he CANNOT sleep at all due to what seems like stomach/digestive issues. The last two nights we have all been up every 30 minutes all. Night. Long.

I have another week on this medication. I don't think any of us can take that long like this. Is there ANYTHING I can do to help him? Nursing him doesn't change anything. He's not on solids yet.

I'm hoping someone has some experience with this. The only suggestions I e gotten from well-meaning friends so far is, "it wouldn't kill him to be on formula for a week." They don't understand that I pump for daycare and am already stretched to the limit trying to pump enough; not nursing him for a week would kill my supply.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Default Re: Amoxicillin reaction, help?

Go to the doc and tell them you need a different medication. I recommend asking for something in the azithromycin family, since about 10% of people who are allergic to penicillins (like Amoxycillin) are also allergic to cephalosporins, which most docs will grab as their second choice when penicillins are off the table. It's much rarer for a penicillin-allergic person to also react to azithromycins.

If your baby is getting hives from Amoxycillin, obviously you want that noted in his medical records. Penicillin is likely to be off the table for him, and you'll want to be cautious with cephalosporins.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

mommal, I swear you are always like a BF angel in the dark at 4 am on these forums. I figured there was no solution but to tough it out; I'll call the doc first thing.

DH has a penicillin allergy so worried this would happen.
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

hey, it's a true pleasure to be helpful. Honestly, I wish that I had looked at your post and been all , because the only reason I know the answer to your question is that my 6 year-old is allergic to penicillins and cephalosporins. Total bummer. 2 first-line-of-defense antibiotics were off the table for her before she was 2 years old.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

hellchick, just wanted to say our babies are birthday twinsies I hope you get everything sorted out!