Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bad cold

Default Bad cold

Ok so I know there is a Sticky Thread with a link for safe medications while BF but I can't find it for some reason so I thought I'd just ask. I have a really really bad cold. I have a super stuffy nose, a bad cough, chest pain (lungs) and am just generally sick all over. ULG! I can't remember FOR SURE what decongestants I can take. I always get them mixed up. Anyone have any good tricks for getting better? I am tempted to use the electronic nose sucker we have for my girls on myself
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Default Re: Bad cold

You can use Sudafed (pseudoephidrine) but for some women it causes a supply drop. You can also use Sudafed PE (phenylephidrine), which doesn't have the same effects on supply but many people find it less effective than the regular Sudafed. You can also use non sedating antihistamines like Zyrtec.

If I were you, I would try the phenylephidrine and if it didn't work go for the pseudoephidrine, perhaps only at night. A lot of people swear by a neti pot or other nasal irrigation but make sure you use either distilled or boiled water. Make sure in any case you stay really well hydrated.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thanks Ladies! I think I will try a Neti Pot! And thank you for the info about the decongestants. Very good to know!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    You can use Sudafed (pseudoephidrine) but for some women it causes a supply drop. You can also use Sudafed PE (phenylephidrine), which doesn't have the same effects on supply but many people find it less effective than the regular Sudafed. You can also use non sedating antihistamines like Zyrtec.

If I were you, I would try the phenylephidrine and if it didn't work go for the pseudoephidrine, perhaps only at night. A lot of people swear by a neti pot or other nasal irrigation but make sure you use either distilled or boiled water. Make sure in any case you stay really well hydrated.
    I totally agree with all of this. But pseudoephedrine makes me jittery, like caffeine, so I wouldn't take it before bed myself. Just figured I should warn you. I think Benedryl is also safe for breastfeeding. I love my Neti pot, though.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Good to know! Ya I knew I could take benedryl but there is no decongestant in it and that's what I need the most right now. I'm definitely going to get a neti pot!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I love my Neti pot, but if you are really stuffed up that sure doesn't work!!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pizanite View Post
    I love my Neti pot, but if you are really stuffed up that sure doesn't work!!
    Sometimes it takes several attempts, over a couple of days, to really clear out your nasal passages with the neti pot if you're badly congested. The neti pot plus sudafed, though, can be magic.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.