Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden Nipple Pain

Default Sudden Nipple Pain

I have always had problems with lefty, the nipple doesn't flow as nicely as the right one and from time to time I have gotten blocked ducts. last week I got a really bad blocked duct, but with heat and a lot of nursing it cleared fine. Late yesterday all of a sudden my left nipple started hurting and today it REALLY hurts. It's not flowing very well at all and looks all cracked. I don't feel a lump yet, but the breast is full. I am at work today, so I can just pump. What's going on with lefty? Is there a blockage in the nipple or something? when I pump it just sort of drips out and hurts.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Default Re: Sudden Nipple Pain

Looks all cracked? Can you describe a bit more?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

There is a little part right on the tip of the nipple that looks open, sort of like a scrape. That is what is hurting me, if I touch it it's really sore. What can I put on it to heal it fast?

I could hardly pump anything out of lefty today, probably 1.5 ounces and I usually get 3-4. I pump 2x during the day now for my 13 MO. I am going to go pump now as my LO doesn't want to nurse that side right now, I am hoping she will nurse on it before bed.
    Mummy to LoLo

We luv cloth baby bums!

Okay, I am thinking that maybe the issue is that you had a milk blister (http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html), which sealed over a duct and caused a back-up of milk in the breast. But now the blister is open, and that has left a small crack. The good thing about blisters- if that is what you had- is that they tend to heal rapidly, usually within a few days even if you do absolutely nothing. But if you want to speed healing, I suggest using a combination of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin antibiotic ointment (use a pea-sized amount, mixed and applied using a clean finger).

It seems that the most important thing you can do right bow is to really empty out poor lefty. So nurse nurse nurse, pump pump pump, and throw in some moist heat and hand massage to boot. Hopefully that will get things moving again.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"