Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting to induce

Default Starting to induce

I recently started a protocol to try to induce lactation in anticipation of adopting a baby to be born in early March. With my history of infertility issues and the short timeframe, my doctor didn't sound too optimistic that I would have much success (although still saying it is good to try). I took estrogen for 4 days and started pumping yesterday. My understanding was that it could take 1-2 weeks for anything to happen. But, on only the second time I pumped, a few drops of brownish liquid started coming out of one breast. It has been coming out each time. This evening a tiny bit came out of the other breast as well.

Any idea what this is? It certainly doesn't seem like milk. I've never had any type of discharge before, so I don't know what that looks like.

Default Re: Starting to induce

Sounds like it could be some collostrum. The first milk that is made. Is its kind of cloudy looking? And thick? (great sign by the way!!!)
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

It could be colostrum. But colostrum is generally a golden yellow color, not brownish. I'd be a bit concerned that the's an admixture of blood in there, causing the brownish tint. How does pumping feel? Is it making you sore at all? Often mamas have the wrong size shields, or just need to tweak their pumping technique...

I'm sorry your doc was so negative about your chances of inducing lactation. I know someone who, like you, had infertility issues, and she was able to induce some degree of lactation solely by allowing her adopted newborn to nurse at the breast. And this was 25 years ago, when no-one had worked out the protocol for induced lactation, and she had less than 24 hours notice between the time she was asked if she wanted this particular baby and having him in her arms.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the replies. It is maybe a bit sore, but not really. I guess more uncomfortable than anything. How do you know what the right size shield is? Should I be saving what I have? It is such a little bit that I don't know if I'll be able to save any.

If your nipple rubs painfully against the sides of the collection tube, it's too small. If the fit is just barely small, it may help to lube the nipple with a little olive oil. You might want to try shields which are one size up, and see if that helps. If you're still uncertain, a trip to a lactation consultant might be a good idea.

What sort of pump are you using? If you're using anything other than a hospital-grade rental, that's another reason to visit a LC. A lot of LCs rent pumps, or at least know where you can get one.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would get with a LC in your area and show her what you are pumping, I would believe shed be the person to be able to look at and tell you exactly what's coming out. that being said though, it sounds like progress is being made! Keep doing what you're doing and storing what you can. Good luck *sending milk dust your way*