Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing to sleep

Default Nursing to sleep

DS is 9mths old and I would like to start weaning from nursing to sleep. I plan to keep nursing until at least a year, but would like to start this process now as I feel its going to be the hardest. He has only ever put himself to sleep a couple times and nurses to sleep for naps and bedtime. Any suggestions as to how I can do this would be appreciated.
    Thank you!!
    First time Mommy to Connor Wayne: 5/8/11, 7lbs 3oz, 21"

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!
    10 months, still going strong and loving every minute!!

Default Re: Nursing to sleep

what worked for us was, in the evening i would nurse him with his bedroom lights on and when he was done sucking but beginning to fall asleep i would unlatch him and give him a pacifier, turn out the lights, rock him just a bit and put him down awake. it worked rather quickly and easily for us.

good luck!
    mom to ds daniel 12/16/09 and ben 2/27/11

Are you wanting to be able to allow someone else to put him to bed all together?

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mallory3kids View Post
    Are you wanting to be able to allow someone else to put him to bed all together?
    This is a really good question. I think the pre-bedtime feeding is one of the hardest feedings to wean from. Many babies are really attached to it, as it is the easiest and quickest and (in baby's mind, anyway) sweetest way to transition to sleep. I'd actually recommend keeping this feeding unless a) you need to have someone other than yourself get baby to sleep or b) you absolutely can't stand it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

^^^

I used to nurse my lo till he was completely passed out then try and ease myself out of the rocking chair, across the room to his bed and try ever so gently to lay him down with out so much as a jiggle so I wouldn't wake him up. I don't do that anymore but he still gets his bedtime nurse and cuddles then I lay him down awake and he drifts off to sleep.

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****

Thank you for your replies! DS used to use a binky, but gave it up a little while ago on his own and I don't want to introduce it again, it will just be something else to wean him from. I love nursing and love nursing DS to sleep, but it's something that I know we will need to stop doing so I would like to start as I know it is going to be so hard for him, it's the only way he has gone to sleep for most of his life. I would also like someone else to be able to put him down at our house for naps and bed sometimes. Also, due to the nursing, 1/2hr to 1hr before bed he ONLY wants me. No one else can hold him, I can't put him down, and if I do get to put him down I can't leave the room or he screams like someone is killing him. I think weaning from nursing to sleep might help this. I don't want to cut out that/those feeding(s), just do them before he sleeps.
    I have tried the diaper change after nursing and that just completely wakes him up and then he screams until I nurse him again. I just need a way to get him to be put into his crib awake/sleepy and he will put himself to sleep.

EBF, after 3 hard weeks of syringes and shields, latch was successful!! Don't give up, it's worth it!!

You don't have to stop nursing him to sleep. He will someday stop, and you will be sad about it. My youngest now isn't taking his bottles to go to sleep now. My others don't need to nurse to sleep either

What we did was have me nurse baby and then hand him to daddy to put to sleep while I went to take a bath. I would go to bed and sleep by myself for a little while, then DH would give him back to me when baby wanted to eat again. We did that for a long, long time.

This is such a short period of time. I don't understand when moms say, I need to stop baby doing X. Have you ever met a school kid who needs to nurse to sleep It will be OK.

The other part sounds totally normal to me, and even if you were to stop nursing to sleep, he would probably be that way anyway. My bottlefed baby wants only me. He is not not daddy at.all.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

You might look into the Pantley no-cry sleep solution book. It discusses how to deal with some of the concerns you've mentioned in a gentle and compassionate way. We're on day 3 of doing it right now... and my always-nurse-to-sleep 10mo was able to be put in the crib last night while 80% asleep after nursing (and he went to sleep ... 3x in a row last night).
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

I have both the no cray sleep and no cry nap books. Haven't read them in a while, guess I should go back and read them again to see what they offer.