Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lipase in my freezer stash?

Default Lipase in my freezer stash?

I have 100 plus oz of milk in the freezer in prep to return to work. I recently seen a post stating she had lipase in her milk and had to scald it before freezing. I have given some of my frozen milk to my baby and she took it fine. How do you know if you have too much lipase. If I do, does that mean I have to throw out what I have stored

Default Re: Lipase in my freezer stash?

Was that my post? I'm sorry to have made you worry. If your baby is taking your frozen milk, then your milk is fine and you can keep feeding your baby from your stash. Excess lipase (if you have it) won't hurt them, but some babies will refuse milk that has the taste caused by excess lipase.

If you'd still like to know whether you have excess lipase, try tasting some of your thawed milk. Mine tasted like a strong soap and was unpalatable. Other mothers don't have this problem, and it sounds like you're one of them!

Yeah it was your post . I seen it and started to panic a little. I go back to work Tuesday and was afraid I would have to throw everything away. I am soo glad that isn't the case. I haven't tasted it yet but I will test the next that I thaw. Thanks for the reply!

Many women do just fine and don't have excessive lipase. Just taste it next time. If you do have a problem, don't throw it away!!

Instead use it for cooking, like make baby teething crackers and freeze those. Use it to mix in if you do puréed foods. Donate it to a milk bank; they will add it to a large batch to pasteurize it, and doing that will dilute the flavor.

Even if it tastes weird to you, try it with your baby. Some don't care. It won't hurt your baby.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!