Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Getting the "flared lip" latch

Default Getting the "flared lip" latch

I'm having trouble getting my 8-week- old to flare her lips when latching. She opens big, but I can't get her to "pucker". It's not painful for me, but uncomfortable, and makes my nipples sore after, but they aren't so much sore DURING the feeding. I know it's incorrect as everywhere I have looked they say that babies need to have the flared out lips, but no matter where I look they never say just how to accomplish that... Again, she opens wide and has been gaining weight really well, I just know I would be less sore and she would be getting milk more efficiently (and perhaps more quickly) if we can get the flared lips down. Any ideas?

Default Re: Getting the "flared lip" latch

One of mine was like that, and I would gently flip his lips out with my finger.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Stick a finger in there and flip the lips out. But also remember that what a latch looks like is much less important than what it feels like. A good latch feels good, and it is okay even if it looks funny. A bad latch can look perfect and still cause pain.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Neither of my girls ever had the flared lips. And I was sore for the first few weeks but that's totally normal. As long as it doesn't hurt during nursing and her output is good then I wouldn't worry too much They get faster and more efficient as they get older too. I think you are doing great!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Yeah, my kids never had a flared lip look going either. As mommal said, it's about how it feels, not how it looks. I know it is against everything everyone ever says, but a breastfeeding expert I trust very much once pointed out to me that some babies even totaly 'nipple nurse' and, as long as it does not hurt mom and baby is getting enough milk, it is absolutely fine.

Since you are having discomfort, I suggest you keep working on that latch and positioning but there may be no need to focus on getting a "flared lip." If it's not too bad, just a little off, instead of taking baby entirely off and relatching, adjust baby's body position after latching. Or try pushing more of your areola in once baby starts going, or adjust babies lips as suggested above.

Are you nursing very frequneltly? At the first cues on baby's part and also whenever YOU like? Your body may give 'cues' as well. Don't wait until baby is super fussy to try to nurse. It is easiest for a baby to latch well when calm and when the breasts are relatively soft.

Try different nursing positions, including "Laid Back" breastfeeding. No need to be totally laid back if that is not comfortable for you, this can simply mean a slight backward tilt for mom, with baby on their front, usually on top of mom in whatever positions you both prefer.

For more on laid back see: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf and http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; February 16th, 2012 at 08:12 PM. Reason: to clarify