Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stash cycling

Default Stash cycling

What's the best way to keep my freezer stash up to date? I have a pretty good amount of milk in there, and the oldest is about 2.5 months old. I'd hate to freeze all my fresh and give DS only frozen, since freezing kills some of the beneficial properties. Is it weird to send two fresh bottles and one frozen bottle every day??

Thanks for your advice!!

Default Re: Stash cycling

Ok, here's what I did... I would unthaw the oldest milk in the freezer for monday's bottles, and then send fresh milk in the bottles on tuesday-friday. (So, milk I pumped on monday went in tuesday's bottles, tuesday's pumped milk went in wednesday's bottles, etc.) Then I would freeze any fresh milk I pumped on friday (making sure to carefully date it), and then start the whole process over on monday by unthawing your oldest milk again. That way my son was only getting frozen milk in his bottles 1 day per week, and fresh milk 4 days per week. And my stash was being rotated and not getting too old in the freezer. Hope this makes sense!
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

I did exactly the same thing.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Makes sense! Though I'm worried I won't get through enough of my stash before it expires -- perhaps that means I have too much in the freezer?

That is what I do as well. On Mondays I thaw 1 bottle less that what he should eat just in case he does not eat them all, I keep 2-3 bottles in my DCP's freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kbcross View Post
    Makes sense! Though I'm worried I won't get through enough of my stash before it expires -- perhaps that means I have too much in the freezer?
    If you get to where your stash is expiring you could always donate. There are a couple of good milk banks (but be careful some of them profit on your milk), Eats on Feets (they have facebook pages), or HM4HB also on FB.

Keep in mind that if you are storing milk in a good deep freezer it can last for as long as a year. Your stash could be used past a year if/when you choose to stop pumping so that your LO can still have some EBM each day.
    I am Klisti, I married my best friend Kris two years ago.

The love of my life, Wyatt 8-28-11 AKA the little dude

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mamaDuMonte View Post
    Keep in mind that if you are storing milk in a good deep freezer it can last for as long as a year. Your stash could be used past a year if/when you choose to stop pumping so that your LO can still have some EBM each day.
    Wow, I didn't realize it was good that long! The milk is stored in a separate standalone upright freezer; whether it is a "good" freezer may be debatable as it is an older model. It doesn't get opened very often, so maybe I should check that the temperature is nice and low so I can extend the expirations somewhat. Thanks!

This link will give you guidelines on milk storage. We have two thermometers in the freezer (ours is old as well) to make sure it is running correctly. I also keep a box against the door to make sure it stays closed.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Thank you!