Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: latch or thrush?

Default latch or thrush?

side of left breast is sore up to arm, nipple on left breast burns and is really painful when she latches on. Right side seems ok. I know its not mastisis. I am using dr. newmans nipple cream and taking diflucan. does it sound like thrush or latch?

Default Re: latch or thrush?

Doesn't sound like latch to me, I would go to see a Dr

How long have you been treating for thrush?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I have been treating it since Monday. I also am taking grapefruit seed extract.

You say you know it is not mastitis, but what about a plugged duct(s)? If baby is having difficulty latching and nursing well on that side, that could cause nipple damage/soreness AND that could cause the breast to not get "milked" properly, causing plugged ducts.

Thrush may take a couple of weeks of treatment to clear up, both mom and baby have to be treated, and diflucan is one of the LEAST effective prescription treatments. Thrush typically (but not always) occurs in both breasts at once, and it is very hard to diagnose, but typically you can be quite sure it is thrush if you have painful nipples and/or shooting pain in the breasts along with a shiny or flaky nipple and/or areola skin. Baby may be asymptomatic but thrush in baby shows up as white patches in the mouth. BTW this last about signs of thrush is from Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple (Mohrbacher, 2010)