Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Irregular period

Question Irregular period

I am trying to figure out what is happening and was hoping someone on here had a similar experience. In January...during my menstrual cycle my daughter went on a nursing strike. The strike lasted a week and during which my period just phased away. Well, about two weeks later (a week after the strike ended) I got my period again. I figured that the strike messed up my body and didn't think any more of it. Well, now it is Feb. and I just got my period a second time this month and it is very heavy. I seem to keep passing clots which I haven't done this frequently since the bleeding I had after my daughter's birth. I am not soaking a pad an hour but I am also running to the bathroom a lot which could be why since I seem to pass clots every time I go. I have all of the typical signs of a normal period including...the breast sensitivity when nursing/pumping. I am used to having one heavy day with very minor clots when I am having a normal period.
    My supply is dipping as usual also during this time. I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone. I know that my cycle was originally very sporadic but I finally thought it was getting back to normal. I have been under a lot of stress lately and I am not sure if that can contribute to the issue. I do have health insurance but the plan I have would make a visit to my ob/gyn about $50. Therefore, if this is normal and I am just making a big deal out of nothing I don't want to spend the money now since I really do not have it. Any suggestions?
    Jaime
    First time mommy to Lucy Madison, born 8/25/2010.

Default Re: Irregular period

I hate to ask this, but is there any chance you could be having a miscarriage? If so, you may want to see a Dr. or at least take a home pregnancy test first.

with the PP. If there's no chance of pregnancy, what sort of birth control are you using? Mid cycle bleeding is a common side-effect of many forms of hormonal contraception.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    I hate to ask this, but is there any chance you could be having a miscarriage? If so, you may want to see a Dr. or at least take a home pregnancy test first.
    I had thought about that but it is highly doubtful. We use condoms for birth control at the moment and we are never careless with that. With a fussy 17-month-old the actual times we do anything are few and far between also. I had thought about that because of my daughter's strike last month but since her strike (which I had while I had my period)...I had my period a second time last month, and the beginning of this month (the normal time) and again starting Tuesday night. Since Tuesday night I still get that waterfall feeling when doing things and run to the bathroom where I seem to be passing a blood clot that is about a quarter to a half dollar in size. I was wondering if I am clotting since my body is not used to have my period during this time and therefore my body is releasing a clotting factor. Not sure...but I think I am going to call the doctor in the morning. I am nervous though because since I left my job and my husband had to get a new job I have health insurance on my own...I am thankful for it but it is not that good and to see my gyno will cost me $50 co-pay I just pray everything is ok. Thanks for caring.
    Jaime

Just wanted to update. I spoke with another friend who had a similar situation when breastfeeding without worry. I also called my doctor's office (just in case) and they said unless the clots were the size of my fist/hand not to worry. If it continues next month I can get checked if I want. Another friend I spoke to said her periods are that heavy every month. The nurse also said that if there was a chance I could be pregnant that this could indicate a miscarriage but since it is not likely it is not as much of a concern. I read that if you take a pregnancy test that it could still be positive if you had a miscarriage so I took one last night that I had at the house and it was negative. Thank you for caring though...you guys are great!
    Jaime