Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work at 1 year, no bottles?

Default Back to work at 1 year, no bottles?

Hi - I'm going back to work in less than 2 months. My son, who will be just shy of 1 year when I go back, is still breastfed, lots - I would say about 8+ times a day depending on how the night goes. During the day, he still nurses down for each of his 2 naps. He's a baby-led weaning baby so he takes solids well and drinks water from a regular cup. I'm not worried about how to continue to get him my milk when he goes to daycare, I will send it along and have it served with meals or as a snack; and I'll pump at work as needed.

What I am worried about is how he will go to sleep; and what I can start doing now to help ease the transition. We've gone this long without sippy cups or bottles (for the most part, he'll take if he needs to) so I don't want to START this at the time we're supposed to be stopping bottle/Sippy cup use. So, if nursing is how he goes to sleep, and he can't nurse and I don't want him to use a bottle, how do I adapt his routine for daycare?

Default Re: Back to work at 1 year, no bottles?

You don't need to adapt your routine. He will figure it out with the daycare provider. He won't expect to nurse when he's not with mama.

Has anyone else ever gotten him to sleep before?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Tracie, Thanks, it's good to know that he won't expect it. On a few occasions we've had a babysitter or my husband has put him to sleep. Usually with a lot of crying and a bottle of my milk though! And he has fallen asleep without nursing when we've been away from home, like out for a walk or driving somewhere.

So what do I tell my daycare provider to do? She's new and he'll be the only baby(toddler) there for the first month or two. She wants to know his routine of course!

Will she have other children to watch? Can she walk him back and forth? What about rocking?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I've exclusively pumped for Emily for almost 17 months now. She was home with me from 8-13.5 months and always took a bottle for naps (still does on the weekends). When I went back to work and she re-started daycare, she was taking 2 naps with bottles. Within 2 weeks she was off bottles entirely and within a month was ok with just one nap a day. It's amazing how fast they adapt to new things. Even though she was used to bottles, she decided she just didn't need them at day care.
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)