Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby gets frantic at my breast - Help!

Unhappy Baby gets frantic at my breast - Help!

I am getting very scared about my milk supply.

I am trying to figure out if this is a growth spurt or if my supply is getting too low. Yesterday, my 7 week old daughter has started acting frantic at my breast after a few minutes of nursing. She'll twist, grunt, pull off and then lunge back on. It seemed to get worse with each feeding as the day went on. I'd burp her and switch sides and she'd be better for a while. But she never seemed to get completely satisfied. At the last feed yesterday, she would suck as many as 10 or 12 times before swallowing. I switched sides 3 times, no real help. She was satisfied for a minute or two and then started in again. So I'm afraid she's getting very frustrated at a slow milk flow. Once I finally stopped the feeding b/c she wouldn't stay on, I was able to get her calm and happy. She's having good diaper output.

The night feeds went fine and today started better. But at the last feed she started fussing again. Switching to the other breast got her satisfied this time but I'm afraid as the day goes on things will get worse and worse again. I used to feed just on one breast per feeding.

I started the progesterone-only mini-pill a week ago. My dr. said it didn't affect milk supply. But I've read online that it does in some women. Just do be on the safe side I've decided to stop taking it. Last night was the first night I didn't take it.

Any ideas what's going on? Could it just be a growth spurt? Has anyone else had issues with the mini pill? If that is the cause, how long will it take to get back to normal?

Default Re: Baby gets frantic at my breast - Help!

This recent change in your daughter's nursing behavior has you frustrated and worried! Let's see if we can figure out what might be going on.

You mentioned that her diaper output is still good despite all the unhappiness at the breast. Is she exclusively breastfed, or has she been receiving any supplemental feeds (whether EBM or formula)? If she's 100% breastfed and her diaper output is good (minimum 5-6 wet disposable diapers and 2-3 dirty diapers per 24-hour period), then you can rule out "low milk supply" as a possibility. If she wasn't getting enough milk, she wouldn't be making good diapers.

Has she had any bottles or pacifiers? Sometimes we see babies act this way when they are "nipple confused" (or more accurately, when they have come to prefer the faster/steadier flow of milk from a bottle).

I'm not sure how to answer your question about the mini-pill, whether this is impacting your breastfeeding relationship, and if it is, how long it will take for your body to adjust now that you have stopped taking it. Perhaps other mothers who have experience with this form of BC will share their thoughts.

After posting this, I refreshed my memory about your situation by reading your previous posts. A few days ago, you posted about cracked/bleeding nipples while weaning off of nipple shields. How is that situation going now? This may have some bearing on your daughter's fussy behavior while nursing now, but I want to clarify my understanding first -- are you still nursing with shields? Have nipples healed, or are you still having soreness and seeing cracks or other damage to them?
    Last edited by LLL_Rebecca; November 10th, 2006 at 07:26 PM. Reason: thought of more questions!

This is a hard one my lo used to do this same thing... it was so very sad and seemed to pass on its own?? Does you lo choke or sputter when your milk "lets down"? I ask this BC some women actually have too much milk and some babies will arch and cry BC it is too much to handle... they want to suck but they don't really want all the milk??? It is also interesting that you say the nights feeds seem to go better as I also have heard that a lot?? Hang in there... You are doing great! Brittan
    Oh yeah, swaddling him very tightly and keeping all noise and distraction just like at night to a minimum and feeding them BEFORE they get too hungry seems to help some moms...

Thanks for the replies. I use nipple shields off and on. I used them again until my nipples healed up. I seem to be doing better with the latch this time around. I'm being very careful whereas before I was happy she latched at all no matter how it felt. I still have to use the shield sometimes on my right breast, which is larger, and she has a hard time latching on that one (I have flat nipples).

She is exclusively breastfed, no bottles. She has a pacifier just before naps and bed time to soothe herself to sleep but rarely keeps in her mouth more than a few minutes.

I don't think it's an OALD in my case. She seemed to be sucking many times before I heard a single swallow while she was fussing.

Today has been somewhat better. Yesterday I had to end a few feeds before I thought she was really satisfied after I had tried her on both breasts several times. Today we still struggled a little, but I feel like by the end of each feed she got her fill.

I don't know if the pill was the cause but I'm not taking any chances. I've had to work too hard to get to this point to risk anything messing it up now. Fortunately my husband is supportive of my stopping.