Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going to breast from bottle after 3mos.

Default Going to breast from bottle after 3mos.

Hi all,

I am new here, but have been very encouraged by the posts I have read so far!

My LO is 5mos actual, 2mos corrected and has been bottle feeding for 3(ish) months. I would really like to establish a good breast feeding routine but am at a loss for how to start! Is there a slow process that anyone has found helpful to transition? I am open to any suggestions on how to initiate this. I have tried to BF before, and she has done pretty well with latching. I think I am going to try some self-latching techniques that I have read about, and some extra kangaroo time. Any other suggestions would be MORE than welcomed!

Thanks!

Default Re: Going to breast from bottle after 3m

Do you pump and bottle feed? Did she BF initially? Do you supplement with formula at all? While I don't have personal expirence with this I do want to say that I know you can do it! I am sure some other mommies will answer with more info but in the meantime check out kellymom.com there are some good tips on getting baby back to breast. One thing I CAN tell you is to make sure the bottles she is using during the transition are very very slow flow and as similar to breast as possible. With a wide base nipple. Good luck!!!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Hi, welcome to the forum!

My daughter was 7 weeks early, took 2 months to latch for even the first time, another month to do it with any regularity and another 2 months for us both to get it all right. It is totally possible!!

I think you have the right idea. You need to recreate that initial bonding experience. Take a day or two and lay around with your top off and baby in just a diaper. Let your baby find your breast. Make it a positive experience. Just cuddle, make the baby feel safe and secure. No stress. You can also try an SNS system, although I don't really have any experience with it. For me, I just picked a day, tossed the bottles and worked really hard. I cried a lot but she got it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Thanks for the encouragement ladies!

lovemygirlso1 -- Yep, I have been pumping since she was born in Sept. so she has been getting my milk from the first feed. We have had to supplement with some formula, but I feel like with breastfeeding she will probably want to eat a little more often, so hopefully the calories will even out. We found some special nipples from Medela called the "calma" nipple. I guess it has a vacuum system that mimics breastfeeding like you said above, and seems to work really well for helping a baby transition to the breast...I guess we will see! They were kind of expensive, but if they work they will have been worth it!

kst.7399 -- I bought an SNS system last night and it shipped today, so I am looking forward to trying it. Like I said before, she's actually done pretty well with latching which came as a major surprise to me. I think if she is consistently getting milk with the SNS she will start to associate me with food...at least that is the hope! Thanks for the snuggling suggestions! I def. tried that today and she seemed to like it! I couldn't tell if she was looking around for my breasts or not, but she seemed to at least like the snuggle.

Thanks again ladies for your encouragement!

This link on weaning from formula supplements may be helpful as you transition from bottle to breast: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/decrease-formula.html
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yes I have heard great things about those bottles! I hope they help! I used a SNS system with my first daughter for just a few days while we were getting the hang of things and I found it really helpful. I bet she'll get the hang of it fast!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!