Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: don't want to give up on breastfeeding

Default don't want to give up on breastfeeding

when my little one was born, i breastfed her, once i got home my mother-in-law and in-laws would say that i wasn't producing any milk and didn't support me, now that she left back home i've been struggling. i don't want to give up on breastfeeding because i know that it's the best for my little one, thing is that when i pump, i can only get half of an ounce. i'm getting quite discouraged but really don't want to give up, any help?

Default Re: don't want to give up on breastfeedi

Congrats on your new baby! How old is she now?

Breastfeeding is a confidence game. If you believe you can make enough milk for your baby, you most likely will! If, on the other hand, you fall prey to nagging worry that you are not making enough, and then start to supplement with formula, your supply (which was probably fine to start with) will start to decline, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. The way to make enough milk for your baby is to breastfeed your baby, day and night, every time they ask. The more the baby wants to nurse, the more milk you make. You make milk on a supply/demand basis, so if your baby demands, you will supply. But this gets all thrown out of wack if you start supplementing. Your baby is full, and won't demand as much, and you won't make as much milk. So whatever you do, try to avoid supplementing with formula if you can. If you've started supplementing, you'll want to back off of it slowly.

The pump is not a good indicator of supply, mama, especially if you are pumping after nursing (but even if you're pumping instead of nursing, frankly - babies are WAY more effective than the pump at getting milk out). The best way to determine if your baby is getting enough milk is not to pump, but to count her diapers. You should be seeing 6-8 sopping wet diapers per day, or more.

I'm sure you'll be hearing from some other awesome experienced mamas soon. But the first thing you need to do is breastfeed, breastfeed, and breastfeed some more.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I agree with pp, if you are supplementing just stop, gradually and nurse, nurse and nurse some more (I like that phrase :P)

You said you are struggling, what is going on?

The pump is not even close to what baby can get out. You DO have enough milk. Just stop supplementing and nurse nurse nurse nurse and you will make plenty of milk for your baby. Try not to listen to those who don't support you. You are doing what is best for your baby! Keep it up mama! We are all here for you!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I just wanted to add that I completely agree with the pps comments. And don't feel bad at all for not being sure about your milk supply. We all have learned this Just trust in your body and your baby. And first thing is to get baby to the breast as often as possible. It is not at all too late Good luck!!! Keep us updated!
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

My little one just turned 2 months yesterday
    And well I was struggling on getting her to latch-on. Another question, most of the time, at the beginning when I started nursing her until now she tends to fall asleep on my breast while I'm nursing her. I tickle her toes and all to wake her up so she can keep sucking, she'll start sucking and fall asleep like about 10 minutes later. What else can I do to awaken her some?

Thank you ladies' very much, I feel more supported than ever. Ya'l are helping me in boosting up my self-confidence about my milk supply as well. And I will do as advised, thank you very much.

Tips on waking a sleepy baby:
    - When it's time to nurse, strip her down to a diaper or onesie, or keep a fan blowing in the room where you nurse. A slightly cool baby is a more alert baby.
    - Annoy her. Rub a cool damp washcloth against the soles of her feet or against the grain of her hair.
    - Breast compressions: http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-BC
    - Switch nursing. As soon as baby seems to be dozing off, take her off the first breast, burp her or change her diaper, and switch her to the second breast. Repeat the process as many times as necessary.

Is there a specific reason why your ILs thought you weren't producing enough milk? We may be able to explain why they're wrong.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My babies never nursed for more than 5 min at a time on one breast, I offer one breast at each nursing session. They were all in the 75 percentile and more, they all have good diaper output and that is what matters. If you nurse on demand and if her diaper output is good, I wouldn't look at the clock, just follow her cues. If she falls asleep, put her down, if she asks to nurse 5 min later, nurse her. That way your supply will be the perfect one for her and you'll have a happy baby

Are you still having issues with getting her to latch on? If so I recommend seeing an IBCLC for some hands on help. My two girls both fell asleep nursing for the first 2-3 months. I'd just let them sleep and lay them down and like the PP said if they wanted to nurse 5 minutes later then I let them. It's all about listening to what your baby wants. If you do then your milk supply will produce accordingly
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!