Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Supply Dropping After Menstruation

Default Supply Dropping After Menstruation

My supply is dwindling due to the recent onset of menstruation (currently Day 3). Used to be able to pump 10-12 oz at work and now I am just barely getting 8oz after two 25 min. pumpings. My son is nearly 17months and attends FT daycare so I am worried about sending him in with only 8oz (or even less) to drink during the day (along with his meals/snack).

Do you know if this is enough liquid for him from 7-5 at 37 lbs./37inches?? Also, is it safe to add an oz. or so of filtered water to the breastmilk that I send in with him to stretch it out? (Not sure if that "messes" up the milk.)

I am drinking Mother's Milk tea, taking Cal/Mag and eating oatmeal but it doesn't seem to be helping (but maybe this only works as a more long term solution . . .)

Many thanks!

Default Re: Supply Dropping After Menstruation

What about just giving him water separate from the milk? My only worry about adding water to the milk would be that he might reject it?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Hello Tracie,
    I have added water to my breastmilk before and he took it. Just didn't know if that destroyed anything in it.

So, maybe it is time to send him in with one cup of milk and one water? (Ha, we just went round about this just a week ago! )

Thanks so much!

I'd just send one of milk and one of water
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

When my youngest was 17 months, breastmilk was the main stay of her diet. If your LO is eating plenty of solid food, giving an additional bottle of water or watered down juice won't have negative consequences. your milk supply may be dipping because your not stimulating it enough. Some moms continue to pump through out the day even when their lo's are toddlers. Your supply can bounce right back if you nurse and pump a lot on your days off.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Thanks! I used to pump 3x a day at work but began doing 2x a day back in October 2011 as I was freezing SO much breastmilk. (I had so much that I actually donated something over 150 oz. from July - September!) But, maybe I shouldn't have stopped that 3rd session that early? I was going for the kellymom suggestion of 50% of solids by 18 months but I actually think he may be more like 65% solids at 17 months. Ach! Did I mess up??