Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfed 5 week old sleeping through?

Default Breastfed 5 week old sleeping through?

Hi, my breastfed 5 week old has been sleeping about 5-6h at night for the last couple of weeks, waking between 3-4am for a feed. The last 2 nights she's slept right through 8-9h without waking. Is this ok? She feeds well in the day every 2-4h and seems happy, has gained plenty of weight. Will it affect my milk supply if she goes this long without feeding? Or should I just enjoy it while it lasts?! Thanks

Default Re: Breastfed 5 week old sleeping throug

Hi, you can have alook at this recent thread
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...60#post1237060
    Apparently after 6 weeks you can relax a bit more at night, if baby is gaining well.

As long as diaper output and weight gain are normal, you can let a baby sleep. Though it certainly won't hurt to wake her, say if you wake up feeling uncomfortably full. How many feedings is she getting in a 24 hour period? With such a young baby, you want to err on the side of caution and make sure she's nursing at least 8-10 times a day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My dd started sleeping longer stretches, about 6 hours, around 5 weeks. I just let her sleep. However she nurses every 1 to 2 hours during the day to make up for it. Like pp said make sure baby is still taking enough feeds in a 24 hour period.
    Ds 9/09 nursed for 20 months

Dd 12/11 nursing a toddler again

Now, I'm not saying this is fact or anything but I'll tell you what my lo's pediatrician told me. My lo is just over two weeks and had his two week appt on Monday. From day one, the ped told me that if at two weeks he had gained and grown well and was latching well, and good amount of poop and pee, that at two weeks I could start getting ihim on a day/night schedule and letting him try to sleep through the night. Now last night was my first go at this and he slept around 5 hrs. And then he advised me to keep him on a feeding schedule during the day... I feed every three hours or sooner if he wants to. Now I know this doesn't make for 10-12 feedings but my milk supply is adequate for him... He is gaining the right amount, peeing pooping the right amount etc. So remember your baby may have a diff schedule but if the other parts add up, then it is right for her. Each child is individual. Also my ped told me that most likely babies will only sleep for a 5 hr stretch until 13 lbs and then they are more likely to sleep longer.

Weight doesn't really have anything to do with it. My first baby didn't start sleeping regularly for a 5 or 6 hour stretch until she was 20 months old and well over 13 pounds. My second baby is 13 months right now and she doesn't sleep more than a 3 hour stretch every night.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*miguelsmamma View Post
    Now, I'm not saying this is fact or anything but I'll tell you what my lo's pediatrician told me. My lo is just over two weeks and had his two week appt on Monday. From day one, the ped told me that if at two weeks he had gained and grown well and was latching well, and good amount of poop and pee, that at two weeks I could start getting ihim on a day/night schedule and letting him try to sleep through the night. Now last night was my first go at this and he slept around 5 hrs. And then he advised me to keep him on a feeding schedule during the day... I feed every three hours or sooner if he wants to. Now I know this doesn't make for 10-12 feedings but my milk supply is adequate for him... He is gaining the right amount, peeing pooping the right amount etc. So remember your baby may have a diff schedule but if the other parts add up, then it is right for her. Each child is individual. Also my ped told me that most likely babies will only sleep for a 5 hr stretch until 13 lbs and then they are more likely to sleep longer.
    I hate to sound critical, mama, but your pediatrician fed you a lot of nonsense. Weight has nothing to do with sleep. My kids didn't sleep 5 hour stretches until they were 20+ pounds. And feeding schedules are the enemy of successful breastfeeding. Supply = demand, and when demand is restricted, supply dwindles. It sounds like you are doing just fine, but don't be shocked if one day your baby wants to nurse every hour or something. When a baby wants more milk volume, like during a growth spurt, he will increase his feeding frequency.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

weight has nothing to do with sleep.

My oldest was born well over 11 lbs. He was a horrible sleeper until he was almost 2. My other babies were all that "magical" 10 lbs, 12 lbs, 15 lbs, by the time they were 4 months old...and they were all not so good sleepers. It's a phase. You know, western society is the only one that measures a baby by how much they sleep? The rest of them just assume a baby is going to wake Makes you think, huh,
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

He did say (and so did I) more likelyto sleep through the night or longer stretches after 13 lbs. every kid is individual. I'm very aware that its not perfect... And I'm not saying that after 13 lbs they should be sleeping perfect. I also don't restrict feeding ever. I make sure that during the day he doesn't go more than 3 hrs without eating... So I wake him up if he is still sleeping. This is supposed to help him determine day from night better. Sometimes he wakes himself after even 20 min and wants more... Sometimes I swear the bugger eats for 3 hrs straight. Just make sure he doesn't go too long without.

I think what we are saying is to not be surprised. I actually know moms who were angry when their baby reached whatever weight or age the doc said baby would STTN or stop wanting to nurse every 2 hours. Like furious. Because they didn't know any better. That is all
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!