Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 M- issues w/bottle, food, & milk suppl

Question 7 M- issues w/bottle, food, & milk suppl

This is my first time using this forum.. bare with me. I have a few concerns with my 7 month old. He is strictly breastfed... completely refuses ANY type of bottle even from somebody else. It is starting to worry me.. as I have places to go for work that will be half day. I normally work from home.. so I am never away from him. I have left him for 6 hours once before with my husband... but he refused the bottle and never stopped crying until he fell asleep, which was about 10 minutes before I got home. How do I practice a bottle when my husband isn't around enough? I have even tried sippy cups, cups, and spoons.

Second concern- I have been offering rice cereal and other foods since he was 6 months old... but he refuses that too. He pushes everything back out of his mouth, starts gagging/coughing and crying. I would keep trying.. even though he is crying and shaking his head (because I thought.... if he could just get used to the different taste and textures.. maybe he will be okay with it). However, all I feel I have accomplished is creating an anxiety for him when anything besides my breasts come near his mouth.

Lastly, he has been getting sick a lot with congestion/runny nose. It normally lasts about a week.. clears up for a few days.. and comes back again. He has a hard time breastfeeding because he can't breathe.. he has to come off the breast to take a breath and often times I have a let-down during that time. I end up spraying him and he gets more upset. I feel that he is super hungry.. but because he hasn't been feeding as often or as long.. that my suppy has lowered. Will my supply be able to re-establish itself.. or should I pump to try and keep it up? I feel very empty when I feed him and my let downs dont last very long anymore.

Thank you for your time... if any of you have any input for any/all of my questions... I am grateful!

Default Re: 7 M- issues w/bottle, food, & milk s

What you describe sounds pretty normal for a 7 month old baby. Until a year, breastmilk (or formula) alone are sufficient to meet baby's nutritional needs, and solids are just for exploring new tastes, textures, and motor skills. Many babies do not begin to consume a majority-solids diet until well into their second year. So not eating solids is par for the course!

A lot of babies also do not enjoy being spoon-fed. You might want to search the forum for threads on "baby led solids" (BLS), an approach in which you put healthy solids in front of the baby and let him self-feed. I used this approach with my first because she hated being spoon-fed, and with my second because it was so much easier than purees and spoons.

As long as baby continues to nurse happily, gain weight, and produce adequate wet diapers, there's nothing wrong with your supply. After you've been nursing for a while, it's normal to feel "empty" almost all the time. You really only feel "full" when you are making extra milk, and after a while the body adjusts supply to meet demand very precisely, without a lot of extra left over. This is desirable, because having a well-adjusted supply means less risk for nasty things like plugged ducts and mastitis. However, if you have a supply that is too low, nursing on demand and/or increasing the frequency and duration of your pumping will boost it right back up. (It's also worth noting that the rate of weight gain in a breastfed baby typically declines after 6 months, as baby becomes increasingly mobile and starts putting calories into action instead of fat. So if your baby slips some percentiles on the charts, that is entirely normal.)

Regarding the bottle issue, it sounds like you might want to do the following:
    - try different bottles
    - try sippy cups
    - try straw cups
    - have dad really try to get in some bottle practice once a day, preferably when you are out of the house
    - taste your expressed milk, and make sure there are no lipase issues (excess lipase enzyme can make expressed milk taste awful even when storage guidelines are followed correctly)
    Hopefully one of those things will work, but there are no guarantees!

The one thing that would concern me is the illness that seems to be troubling your LO. Have you taken him in to the doctor?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We skipped the bottle entirely and went to sippy cups. LO hated bottle. He loves his sippy cup. But practice with it when he's not hungry, kwim? That way he can get the hang of it.

Have you been doing saline/breastmilk in the nose to help clear the congestion?
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

Thank you for letting me know that this is "normal" for a 7 MO... I was getting worried that my supply wouldn't re-establish itself after a certain age. I will take a look at the threads for BLS to see some suggestions. However, I have placed those baby mum-mums in front of him and he will pick it up and play with it until he brings it to his mouth. Once he gets a taste of it... he will shake his head, close his eyes, slam it down, and start wailing. (sigh) As far as the EBM, I did notice a not-so-pleasant smell once it was defrosted. I take it... that that might be the lipase??? I do try a sippy cup with water throughout the day.. but he will just chew on in. If water does come out, he lets it just drip out and looks at me with disgust. I have taken him to the doc twice... they blame it on teething or a cold. I tend to think it is allergy related.. something in our house. I'm just trying to figure it out... he gets relief if we are out all day in a different environment. I just hope it isn't our cat or dog. I would hate to let them go. Once again.. thanks!

My LO didn't get the concept of a sippy cup UNTIL we put a tiny bit of breastmilk in it. Once he realized that it was supposed to be a food/nourishment source... he definitely tried drinking with more gusto. Prior to that, he was doing the same thing yours does.

My LO's first foods were apple, carrots, and celery. Sticks that he could grab, or for the apple -- just the core . He loved gnawing on those...nice and cold. But yes, food is a new experience, and at first it is just an experiment and a toy.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

My ds is almost 7 months old and also refuses a bottle and sippy cup, but he LOVES using a straw cup. The first few times using it he would get frustrated and also make a funny face when something came out. Now he gets so excited when he gets anything out.

As for the solids he's still not really into them. He doesn't like to be spoon fed so we do some BLS and when I do give him purees or oatmeal I let him feed himself. He eats a lot more this way. When someone tries to feed him he spits it out and won't open his mouth for more.
    Mom to Cameron Born 07/23/2011