Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: dry nursing?

Default dry nursing?

I don't really know if that's what it's called, but I'm wondering if you have weaned or really aren't producing much can you still use the breast to pacify your toddlers? I know it soothes them when hurt, scared, etc., but I've always had the milk, too. Would it cause relactation if done intermittently? Or confusion?

Default Re: dry nursing?

Yes. I'm pretty certain that I was empty for the last nine months my daughter nursed. (She nursed until she was nearly 4.) she would go days or even a week in between sessions and I would feel no fullness. It worked for us. As she grew her latch was sometimes off, but she was always willing to work with me if it meant she could keep nursing.

Eta: unless your child started nursing all. the. time. again, I don't think you'd relactate, BUT I will say that the first time we went a week I had an episode of bleeding for a bit afterwards (as in vaginal bleeding, not my boobs we're bleeding). It was odd, but only lasted for half an hour. I'm sure it was all hormone related. Just wanted to say that that *could* happen.
    Last edited by @llli*becca.c; February 14th, 2012 at 10:35 PM.

Oh, good, Becca! We are on the road to weaning, and my left boob has not produced for 6 months, so righty picks up the slack. I do have him nurse on the left at times, but it feels weird, and he doesn't stay on very long and I don't think he finds it comforting. I only know 1 mom who nursed past 18 months (she has a 3 y.o. who she still nurses, but I don't think she produces much milk now). When did you notice you weren't producing? I hear of moms nursing to 3 and 4 and beyond and wonder, are they really producing at all anymore, or is it just for comfort at that pt., not nutrition.

How much milk you produce is dependent not on your child's age but on how much your child demands from the breast. A child who nurses just a couple of time a day for comfort and the pleasure of suckling probably won't maintain much of a milk supply. A child who nurses frequently and hungrily will maintain a much more abundant suppply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I had an abundant supply until I miscarried when my daughter was 3 years and 3 months old. During that stressful time, she backed off and stopped nursing for a few days. I was full, but not miserable. However, after that she started spacing her nursing sessions out and my supply dwindled to nothing within a few months. Within nine months she was completely weaned. Up until she was three she nursed frequently enough that I was miserable if she missed a few hours at the breast. Like the PP said, it has nothing to do with age, and everything to do with the frequency of nursing sessions.

Wow, I had no idea! Perhaps, because I'm only nursing on 1 breast, I only feel uncomfortable if my toddler doesn't nurse all day.

Becca, I'm sorry about your loss.