Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding/Bottle

Default Re: Breastfeeding/Bottle

Yes I will be returning to work.

How old will your baby be when you go back to work?

My first daughter hated all bottles and we went through quite a few before realizing that she wasn't going to like any bottle. My second one was a little more accepting and we found one that she liked.

I would echo the suggestion to get only ONE each of several kinds of bottles and try each one. You probably won't need bottles that are more than four ounces - most breast fed babies never need the 8 ounce size. In fact, most formula fed babies don't take more than six ounces at once (according to my in home daycare provider).
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    Sorry, I didn't see that.

Are you going to be working? The reason that I ask is that most of the advice you have gotten is geared towards a stay at home mom.
    I disagree that the advice here was geared only to sahm's. A baby's potential response to being given bottles is not dependant on why they are being given bottles. The general gist of the suggestions on this thread was that breastfed babies do not need to be fed by others in order to bond with them, that it is helpful in avoiding nipple/flow confusion to wait several weeks until breastfeeding is established before introducing bottles, and that the method by which bottles are given may be more important than what bottles are used in avoiding nipple/flow confusion. This applies to all babies.

I assumed pvalljo was asking about what bottles work best for breastfed babies because she was concerned about avoiding nipple/flow confusion. Perhaps I should not have made that assumption, but personally that is what I based my response on, and imo my post applies to moms who will need to introduce bottles due to returning to work or other separations, as well as those who will not. Most moms do not return to work until sometime between 6weeks and 3 months post partum. If a mom is needing to return to work very shortly after giving birth, I agree that is a different but fairly unusual concern.

I could have given names of bottle nipples and left it at that, but I did not, because in my experience these other factors are more important to consider when a mom is needing to balance breastfeeding and bottle feeding.

I did forget to mention that some breastfeedign experts suggest that finding bottle nipples that are as similar to one's own nipples may be helpful, although, also pretty difficult.

As an aside, I hope it is understood that the suggestions on these forums are meant as just that-suggestions-that moms are free to try or not try as they see fit. These forums are here to provide personal opinions, support, as well as to provide evidence based information about breastfeeding to moms who request it. Some suggestions will sound good to you, others may not. Each mom is the best judge of what will work best for herself, her baby, and her family.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    I disagree that the advice here was geared only to sahm's. A baby's potential response to being given bottles is not dependant on why they are being given bottles. The general gist of the suggestions on this thread was that breastfed babies do not need to be fed by others in order to bond with them, that it is helpful in avoiding nipple/flow confusion to wait several weeks until breastfeeding is established before introducing bottles, and that the method by which bottles are given may be more important than what bottles are used in avoiding nipple/flow confusion. This applies to all babies.
    Sorry, didn't mean to offend. But there is a tone that babies don't need bottles - and they certainly don't need to be bottle fed for bonding. My DH rarely fed either of my babies bottles and I am at work full time.

But if she wants to know what kind of bottles are good and everyone is saying don't use a bottle - then I think it is a valid question if the ONLY reason she would use them would be for bonding. I know that my recommendation to a new mom regarding bottles would be different if she was going to stay at home or if she was going to go to work. If she was going to stay at home I would say - forget about them entirely. If she's going back to work my response would be different.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Red face Re: Breastfeeding/Bottle

Thank you for the detailed response.

I would like to know what are the suggested bottles that work best for breast feeding moms. As I mentioned previously I will try my hardest to breastfeed and hope that it is successful (if it is not as it has been for some mom's I will not be hard on myself at all).

I would like to master the art of breastfeeding and bond with my newborn before introducing a bottle but would like to do so with enough time before returning to work. This is why I asked for bottle suggestions.

Paola

The thing is that it's hard to say what bottle will work for you. What is not a good idea is using a fast flow nipple. The Adiri and Breastflow bottles that Susan mentioned are supposed to be more like nursing, but they are still bottles. I think the baby may have to work a little harder to get the milk out of those bottles than a traditional bottle.

A lot of people swear by the playtex drop ins wide-mouth bottle with a latex newborn nipple. It worked for my second but not my first. Some moms are more interested in glass bottles.

There is a thread around here where Susan (aprilsmagic) talks about trying non-standard bottles.

My first baby was a bottle refuser. She didn't want anything but mama and it wasn't due to us not introducing bottles too late - she actually took one a day from the time she was born until 5 weeks old (NOT RECOMMENDED BY THE WAY).

We're not trying to be frustrating with not giving you bottle types.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Thank you!

I know you are not trying to be frustrating, simply give me the best advice you can.

But I must say the beginning it felt as one is judged or looked down upon if they don't breastfeed or follow the advice. And I strongly believe that this is not what lalecheleague is here for or these forums.

Thank you ladies! Hope to be a expert at breastfeeding and enjoy as much as you all!

Xo

What happens a lot of times is that we see moms that are being pushed into pumping so that Daddy or Grandma can feed the baby. And sometimes the mom doesn't want to or they introduce bottles too soon and end up with a situation where the baby prefers the bottle and that's really hard to come back from. Everyone is trying to be helpful and nobody meant to come across as judgmental.
    Tracie

Mommy to

We are here to support all moms (and sometimes dads) who come for advice. It is hard to interpret someone's tone on a post.

Many of us have encountered pitfalls in our breastfeeding experience and want to help the next mom avoid them.

That is why I suggested other ways for bonding. Many things in society push us to formula feed and bottle feed. They are not always necessary.

I wish I had more information when I had my first child. Knowledge is power. We are trying to share that with you. So you won't feel like you HAVE to do something, so you will know you have OPTIONS, etc.

Good luck!
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Sorry to deluge you with bottle politics, mama-to-be! I think the llladies on this forum tend to be extra sensitive about bottles because we've seen too many cases where breastfeeding derails because of bottles being introduced too early, or by family members with grabby hands and zero breastfeeding knowledge who insist that it's their right to feed the baby.

I think in your shoes, I'd register for 1 Adiri, 1 Breastflow, 1 Tommee Tippee, and 1 Dr. Browns. I haven't used bottles much, but I have seen other moms here using those. And I agree with the PPs that getting a large variety of single bottles is the best option, because you'll probably find at least one that your baby likes, and you won't be locked into a system that doesn't work for you!

Maybe I'm reading too much into your posts, but it sounds like you're kind of worried about making breastfeeding work for you. True? If so, feel free to share any specific concerns and maybe we can address them. I know I've seen future mamas who have been concerned about pain, sleepless nights, intimacy with their partners, self-image, pumping at work...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"