Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4.5 MO with occasional bottle issues

Default 4.5 MO with occasional bottle issues

Hi, I am the father of a 4.5 mom DS. I am currently at home with him while taking my paternity leave. When my DW first went back to work, our DS protested for quite awhile against the bottle. After a week or so, he finally began taking EBM from a bottle, although it took feeding next to a vacuum cleaner to get him to calm down enough to accept it. Now a days, he is mostly ok with a bottle, with about one feeding a day to every other day he is really fussy so that I need a white noise app on my phone to get him to relax enough during a feeding, and about once a week he will completely boycott the bottle for a feeding or even two. He doesn't have any issues feeding off the breast. I feel like it he really just misses mom, and wants the comfort of suckling instead of dad and a bottle (can't blame him). Does anyone else have any experiences or ideas to make the bottle feedings easier, and less stressful for us both? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Default Re: 4.5 MO with occasional bottle issues

Sometimes it can help to make the situation seem unrelated to the one where he would expect Mom to be cuddling him. So, you might try cup feeding, or spoon feeding, or holding him in a position that feels entirely different from the positions he nurses in. Or taking him outside.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

with Teal. Alternately, you could try making bottle-feeding more like nursing. Open your shirt and cuddle baby close to your bare chest. If he's craving skin-to-skin contact, even a hairy daddy may suffice.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Paced bottle feeding gives baby more control over the milk flow, as baby has when nursing, and this may help the reluctant bottle feeder. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf