Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk supply good?

Default Milk supply good?

If the avg baby needs 25 oz. of breastmilk in a 24 hour period, and I pump about 3 oz. each time, every 2 hours, and we all know that our baby removes more milk than any pump, then I am doing okay, right?? Baby is on a nursing strike and nurses a little when sleepy, but not well at all during the day. When she was nursing okay, she would nurse every 2 hours during the day and about every 3 hours at night. She is 11 weeks old.

Default Re: Milk supply good?

From what I read on here, a nursing strike at that young age is most likely not a nursing strike. Can you get some hands-on help to get baby back to breast? Can you go to a local la leche league meeting or contact a lactation consultant (IBCLC)?
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

It's hard to get hands-on help, but I've been getting over the phone help for about two weeks. I think my local LLL is tapped out. I'm going to a WIC lactation nurse tomorrow. I haven't given her a bottle yet. I've been syringe feeding her when she just won't nurse at all, but I need something more efficient and I don't have the $$ to order something.

Your baby will perk up the more times you offer to nurse her. get her naked except for a diaper , take off your shirt and give her lots of skin to skin contact. Tickle her lips w/ you nipples and let her taste your skin. get back into be w/ her. if she goes too long w/o eating, say like 4 hours, spoon feed her some of your expressed milk and get her back to the breast.
    do not listen to advice that says she will nurse once she gets hungry enough.
    She must not be allowed to dehydrate. She needs to be fed if she won't nurse. You can give her a supplemental feeding and then offer her your breast.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

The most recent advice I got was that I'm prolly putting too much pressure on her offering so much. She still has 6 wet diapers each day. Sometimes she jerks her face away if I even get my nipples close to her lips. And when I try syringe feeding, she flops all over the place. I tried a little with a cup and she won't calm down long enough. She keeps thrashing around and spilling it. I will attempt the spoon feeding next. Thanks

If you are pumping that much at that age that often, you are on track. Most babies take 1 to 1.5 oz an hour.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*toddlerandtwins View Post
    From what I read on here, a nursing strike at that young age is most likely not a nursing strike. Can you get some hands-on help to get baby back to breast? Can you go to a local la leche league meeting or contact a lactation consultant (IBCLC)?
    I found out that the lactation nurse Ima see tomorrow is an IBCLC! yay!

Excellent! Let us know how it goes
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    Excellent! Let us know how it goes
    She said I'm so worked up about it that I'm offering too often and putting too much pressure on baby. And that all the night feeding I'm doing to compensate for all baby's dropped daytime nursings are keeping her fed. She poops every other day and has good wet diapers. HOWEVER, she has lost 3 or 4 oz. But if I cool it a little bit, she'll want to nurse more on her own and it will balance itself out. I hope so! Pedi won't like that she's lost any weight. I've got to get it back up before the end of the month. But I can quit worrying about my milk supply before I end up with oversupply and the return of my OALD. Which may be what got her striking in the first place...