Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Diarrhea and food sensitivity?

Default Diarrhea and food sensitivity?

Hello ladies, I have a question - hoping some might have some suggestions. My daughter is 4 weeks old, she's been having some mucous in her stool for about 3 weeks now - I cut out dairy approximately 2.5 weeks ago. 2 days ago I also stopped eating fish and wheat products, as there was no improvement in her stool. Since yesterday she started having a really watery and yellow stool, which looks like diarrhea to me, no mucous. She is gaining weight and seems like a happy baby with occasional fussiness, but no inconsolable crying etc. I also noticed that she started sleeping more soundly/longer yesterday. So I am assuming that it is either milk protein that's out of her system or she's allergic to fish/wheat and that's why mucous is gone. However I am concerned about the watery (very watery!) stool - does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be causing this? The baby seems to be peeing the usual amount and hopefully is not dehydrated. I'm eating a very limited number of foods at this point - boiled chicken and beef, some wheat-free grains (brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat, millet), baked apples and bananas. Is it possible that my diet is too limited and she's not getting enough nutrients due to this? Should I reintroduce some foods back little by little as I feel like this is a very wide range of items she's potentially allergic to. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Default Re: Diarrhea and food sensitivity?

have a mother who has nursed her baby take a look at your baby's diaper . Seriously, breastfed babies stools are so very different than formula fed babies. What may look like a problem could actually be normal.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

and most moms eat everything any anything they desire. I know I did. I figured if my ancestors lived off of roots and berries and why deny myself anything.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

It can take a full month for dairy to get out of your system....so while it may be there is a dairy issue, you haven't given it enough time. The best way to tell is to have wheat/fish again, see if it returns. If you want to test the dairy theory -- then wait the full 4 weeks before reintroducing dairy so that you have a clean slate.

ETA: I didn't really read things carefully. If you're having normal yellowish stools -- then I don't think it's really a food issue, honestly.

Check out the yahoo group "food lab" though -- there's a lot of food elimination help to be had there.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

How many stools is she having in a 24 hour period? Diarrhea is pretty unusual in a breastfed baby, but when it happens you'll get as many as 16 stools in a single day.

If it's more like 5 or 6 stools a day, yellow and watery can be normal.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Oh, and for comparison's sake, if it will help you -- when my LO *did* have diarrhea recently b/c of stomach bug.... it was really obviously different from the watery yellow breastmilk poop. the diarrhea was a much higher ratio of water / clearish liquid with some poop flecks. Not sure what it'd look like in a diaper... but in the potty that's how it looked. It was markedly differnt from the semi-liquid pile of mush that is a "normal" soft poop.
    3/2011 {EBF to 6mos, now BF and BLS, CD, EC'ing since 5mos - in underwear at 11mos, and babywearing}
    Babywearing International has chapters - see if there's one near you... most have lending libraries!

I agree that it sounds as if it may just be a normal breastfed baby's stool. Yellow and very watery or even "seedy" looking is totally normal. If the mucous is gone, that's a great sign. It could definitely be that dairy is the culprit. I would stick with the non-dairy diet for a few more weeks, and see how she's doing.
    Mommy to L - May 7, 07' , B - February 7, 09' , and R - August 18, 12'