Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hormonal changes

Default Hormonal changes

I've been noticing some light spotting lately, and with it a significant reduction in milk supply. (DS is five months.) How long should I expect the spotting / decreased supply to last? Milk production was way down all last week, and during pumping sessions at work I could barely get enough for the next day. Monday and Tuesday of this week were great, but then yesterday and today are low again?? I guess I would have thought that supply would be affected one week out of four, just like my period. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Default Re: Hormonal changes

Some moms notice the pumping output is lower for like 2 weeks, starting at ovulation and going through AF, because of progesterone's influence.

You can try calcium/magnesium supplements, as well as oatmeal, etc, to see if it helps.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I've been eating oatmeal every morning since going back to work. I figure it can't hurt!

I was just reading about the cal/mag supplement -- is there any harm in taking it all the time, or should it just be used during that period of low supply?

Try it both ways and see which way works best for you.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Does it need to be a combination cal/mag pill, or can I buy them separately and take them at the same time? The only combination cal/mag supplements I've seen have something like 500 mg calcium, 80 mg magnesium, instead of 500/250 which seems to be the recommended proportion.

Argh, this is so frustrating! On Tuesday I pumped 20 oz (a new record!) in three sessions at work, but yesterday didn't even get to 14 oz which is what I send with him for the day. Today looks like it might be even less than that! I know I need to have patience to see if it will be resolved by the supplements or if I need to try something else, but in the meantime it's really upsetting.