Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anxiety - Any options??

Default Anxiety - Any options??

I am not sure what to do, if there is anything. I am stressing to the max and taking deep breaths and relaxing just isn't cutting it. My 3 month old baby boy (3rd and final and first exclusively breast fed) is having surgery tomorrow morning. The procedure is not routine, but it does carry low risk. Nonetheless, he will be going under anesthesia...and that, is scary. Weird part - my first born (only daughter) had the same exact surgery and she was younger and I don't remember feeling this nervous, anxious, etc.

Thank G-D for breastfeeding, I can feed him up until 3am (if formula fed, it would be nothing after midnight). He's a very healthy 17 pounder, so I know he will do okay.

I am pretty sure of the answer, but does anyone know if Xanax is safe during breastfeeding? I am not sure who to call to ask, the pediatrician or my OB?

Thank you in advance for your advice and for noticing without judging.

Default Re: Anxiety - Any options??

The best thing would be to call Infantrisk. Of course that would have to be during the day.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I was told no to Xanax. I am on Paxil for PPA.

Most of my suggestions would be for long-term anxiety, not situational, but these are things I've learned in therapy that might help:

A couple of things that help me when it gets bad like that:
    1) Rewrite the ending. So if you are worried about him having a reaction to the anesthesia (a big concern for me as my son was a preemie and has had a bunch of surgeries and doesn't handle it well) picture the outcome happily. See him waking up, nursing, smiling, going home healthy, growing up, getting married etc etc.

2) Think of the last time you felt REALLY good. Really safe and happy. How did you feel? How did your arms feel, your heart feel, how were you breathing. Then close your eyes and feel it again. Concentrate on those feelings.. breathing deeply, expanding your belly as you inhale. PIcture warmth and love coming into your body when you inhale, and darkness going when you exhale.
    Call me Trish!
    Robbie, born at 26w2d on 5/31/08. EPed 15 months. He was G-Tube fed until just before his 3rd birthday. He now knows the joy of food and drink by mouth!
    Charlotte born 11/12/11 at 35w2d. Blissfully feeding her from the tap since birth.

I can understand why you're anxious! Anesthesia is scary.

I sent a PDF of the entry on Xanax from Medications and Mothers' Milk to the email address in your profile, even though I realize it's probably too late to be of use now. And hopefully you won't have as great a need for it again! But in case you do.

Please let us know how your little guy is doing, if you get a chance.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

This sounds lovely. Good advice
    Mommy to one little boy who changed my life 8/30/11 , loves mommys milk