Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: teething or allergies?! (or both)

Default teething or allergies?! (or both)

UGH! The past few days have been hellish. DS (8 months old) has been SO fussy and cranky. His night sleep has been amazing (wakes 1-3 times to BF) and he has learned how to fall asleep on his own in the beginning of the night (WITHOUT crying it out! woo hoo!)...Anyway the point is that during the day he seems SO restless and fussy. Even during independent play he makes little whining noises and seems to be in discomfort. He rubs his eyes a lot (sometimes its pre-nap or bedtime but other times its just 30 minutes after he has woken up) and its CONSTANT. His eyes are NOT red but he seems to be drooling and teething so I'm wondering if the eye rubbing is due to the teething?
    Anyway naps have become a huge battle. I make sure to give him anywhere between 1.5-3.5 hours of wake time and dont generally let him get to the overtired state. I'm a SAHM so I know his cues really well. But the past few days and have been generally unpleasant and never ending. I have a 15 minute soothing routine before his naps that used to work like magic to get him down to sleep! But now as soon as he stops nursing before his nap he seems to get worked up no matter what i do: put him in his crib, lie down with him, nurse him, rock him...he just gets frustrated! and I get even more frustrated because what used to be 15 minutes to get him to sleep can take up to an hour! Another issue is that in the afternoon if he doesnt sleep a 1.5 hour nap he is a monster in the evening but he has been waking after 45 minutes and it takes me another 10-20 minutes to get him to take part 2 of his nap...and a lot of the time he wont even do the second part! Yesterday he slept 25 minutes, woke up, put him back to sleep for another 15 minutes, then he woke up, then he cried for 5 minutes and fell asleep for another 45 minutes. I know some moms will say I should follow his cues and not obsess over naps but if I don't somewhat structure his day he is UNBEARABLE...as in I cannot put him down, he wont even want me to wear him in my carrier, he will whine at the park/in the stroller/in the car and while playing...
    I'm just wondering if there is something really bothering him physically that isnt allowing him to settle down and sleep. I must add that we suspected he had a Milk/Soy protein allergy when he was abt 4 months and I have been back and forth between eliminating and reintroducing and sometimes he seems to do really well when its been eliminated for a bunch of weeks but other times he seems totally fine when I've been eating Dairy/Soy. He was taking omerprazole but outgrew his dose and we never refilled the rx and he seemed fine for 3 weeks until now! It has been 2 weeks since I began eating soy/dairy freely again. No diaper rash...but he does have what looks like very dry and patchy skin on his back and around his chin area. On top of that he is so fussy....so I'm wondering if this is teething related, food related, environmental allergies, or just cranky days due to growth spurt.
    The pediatrician we have is useless and very unknowledgable when it comes to diet/breastfeeding so any questions I ask are ignored or she just suggests a steroidal cream for his back skin. Should I do another TED? It's so hard for me and thats why I stopped but I'm starting to lose my mind these days so I guess one more thing wouldn't be the end of the world, right?
    Sorry for the loooong post and ranting but I'm just losing patience with this crazy situation...I have a huge final this week and we have been trying to settle into our new apt (moved 3 months ago and he adjusted after about 2 months) and his lack of sleep and general crabby demeanor is wearing me down BIG time...any suggestions or advice will be much appreciated!!!!!

Default Re: teething or allergies?! (or both)

Sad no one commented but i thought I should add that DS cut his first tooth today!

Well there you go , is he doing better now? The eye rubbing is a big sighn .
    Mommy to one little boy who changed my life 8/30/11 , loves mommys milk

YES...he is still a tad clingy but normal clingy. He is definately still teething but I guess he will be for the next year or so! He was truly miserable when he got his first tooth but he does still continue to rub his eyes. He has a patchy/bumpy rash on his back still :-/