Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation During Pregnancy

Post Relactation During Pregnancy

Okay, I need some BF mama advice. I have a 6 month old who was exclusively breastfed for the first 3 months. I started supplementing with formula and she adjusted fine to that. Now that we are expecting again she has been rooting around wanting to nurse. She does latch on properly and since she is showing so much interest I would like to start nursing her again but my milk has been gone for a couple of months. What is the best way to safely bring that milk back? I know it isn't safe to take mothers milk tea during pregnancy but I am wondering if anyone else has experience with this? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Default Re: Relactation During Pregnancy

You cannot safely bring in your milk yourself. Your body will do it, eventually. And if she wants to try nursing, try it. It might hurt a lot -- nipple sensitivity is something a lot of moms have during pregnancy -- but it might not. Some docs claim it will cause miscarriage, so if you are at risk, it might not be a good idea. I never felt any contractions from nursing, but every mama is different,

She might be willing to dry nurse, and then when you have colostrum, she will drink that. You will have enough for both babies.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Relactation During Pregnancy

Thank you for your advice!