Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

So I had the misfortune of getting pink eye...and then DD got it too. Well the doc put me on ofloxacin drops and when I went to pick it up it had this sticker on it saying do not use if breastfeeding, consult doctor. Well I called the doctor and she was adament it was safe and the medical assistant even said to me, "I don't know where you read that." So I'm conflicted....I'm pretty much EPing except for an occasional early AM BF. My DD is 10.5 mon old.

What would you do? Pump and dump? I think my breastfeeding journey with DD is about to end. I'm not pumping that much anyways and I already have to supplement with formula. I'm only continuing because of the early morning BF (I usually have enough for that one feed) and because she won't take straight formula.
    Oh the mommy guilt!!!

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Default Re: What would you do?

Personally, I would trust my doctor, since many meds that are perfectly safe carry these CYA warning stickers. Most meds are fine when nursing, and certainly for a 10 month old would be fine. Meds that are routinely prescribed directly to babies will sometimes have such stickers on them, I kid you not.

However, if you want the science and not just opinion, I would suggest calling the folks at www.infantrisk.com "We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519"

They can give you info from Hale's book Medications and Mothers Milk and let you know for sure if this medication is contraindicated when breastfeeding.

I would contact Infantrisk and see what they say. Sorry I don't have the link, I'm on my phone. Your doc is probably right though, there's nothing to worry about. It seems to me like they put that label on everything regardless of if it's safe or not for the pharmaceutical companies to cover their butts. Its less costly for them to make a blanket statement that its not safe rather than actially test it. I defiantly would not dump anything you pump until you know for sure!
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14

I wouldn't not do it because of a CYA sticker on the bottle. Check infant risk. But if your doctor is admament that it's safe she is probably sure. I wouldn't end my breastfeeding relationship over it. Especially if you guys are hanging on by a thread. The immunites she is getting is so important. Especially if you guys are sick!

Way too lazy for formula

Eye drops only reach bloodstream in very very small amounts.
    Plus ofloxacin is safe while nursing. It's ok really.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Personally, I would trust my doctor, since many meds that are perfectly safe carry these CYA warning stickers. Most meds are fine when nursing, and certainly for a 10 month old would be fine. Meds that are routinely prescribed directly to babies will sometimes have such stickers on them, I kid you not.

However, if you want the science and not just opinion, I would suggest calling the folks at www.infantrisk.com "We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519"

They can give you info from Hale's book Medications and Mothers Milk and let you know for sure if this medication is contraindicated when breastfeeding.
    Meg, do you mean you wouldn't trust your doctor? Because I wouldn't listen to that doctor, myself.

Most doctors I have ran across are woefully uneducated about nursing and medicine. I would use the drops. Call infantrisk.com for sure.

ETA: I misread this post. I would also trust the doctor. I thought you were saying the doctor said they weren't safe. My BAD.
    Last edited by @llli*yoginimama; February 14th, 2012 at 10:32 PM.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Thanks for your thoughts ladies. I guess I've always been a little anxious about these things, even if you tell me it's safe, I might not do it unless absolutely nothing is passed.

I did called Infant risk and they were helpful. Told me it was classified an L2 on Hale's scale of L1 to L5. So it is considered safe. And she also gave me a tip to limit the amt exposed to the blood stream when administering it.

So I think I'll continue...but I'm still nervous about it. I hate that this has happened. But I'm just being my usual worrywart...

I have heard that breast milk applied to the eyes is actually very efficient at curing pink eye. You might give it a try as well, since it is certainly compatible with breastfeeding!

yoginimama said:
    Meg, do you mean you wouldn't trust your doctor? Because I wouldn't listen to that doctor, myself
    of course, I would agree with you in many cases. But,

tomom had said :
    Well I called the doctor and she was adament it was safe
    So, the way I read it, tomom reported that her doctor said the drops WERE safe for use when nursing. She was concerned because the sticker on it said not to use when nursing. So that is why I said I would trust the doctor-because in this case, I thought the doctor was correct.

Even if you are lucky enough to have a doctor who seems to know what they are talking about in such matters, if a mom has doubts, I would suggest 'trust but verify.'

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    yoginimama said: of course, I would agree with you in many cases. But,

tomom had said :

So, the way I read it, tomom reported that her doctor said the drops WERE safe for use when nursing. She was concerned because the sticker on it said not to use when nursing. So that is why I said I would trust the doctor-because in this case, I thought the doctor was correct.

Even if you are lucky enough to have a doctor who seems to know what they are talking about in such matters, if a mom has doubts, I would suggest 'trust but verify.'
    Sorry, I had mis-read!

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!