Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work/ pumping questions

Default Going back to work/ pumping questions

My baby is now 11 weeks old. I will sadly be returning back to work next week. I have approximately 140 oz milk stored in the freezer. What is the best way to pump/work? I work in home health so I can generally come home (where baby will be) at least once maybe twice a day. When I come home at lunch/break should I pump or let her nurse? She eats frequently (12-14 times a day) and I am afraid I will not be able to pump enough milk last her through the day. She has not had many bottles and does not really like taking them. Is there anything special I need to tell the babysitter about bottle feeding her?

Default Re: Going back to work/ pumping question

I might also add that I pump of a morning from one side and feed from the other. During my morning pumping session I usually get around 5oz. I also pumped at noon today (1-1 1/2 hour after feeding) and got 3 1/2oz total from both breast. I am using a medela pump in style and pump for 20 min. Is it normal to not get any more that that during the day? I am afraid that after I go back to work next week I will not be able to pump enough to feed her. She has done excellent so far, 8# 11 oz at birth and 14# at 2 month check up EPF. I really do not want to fail at breastfeeding. With my son, who is now 3yo, I made the mistake of supplementing formula when he was about a week old which lead to my supply being completely gone when he was 8 weeks old. I don't want to go down that track again! Help please!

Hi there! I think you're not going to have any trouble getting enough milk while you are away. How many hours total will you be away from her? The general rule of thumb is to leave 1 to 1.5 ounces per hour while you are away.

5 ounces is quite a bit to get out of one side at once. And 3.5 ounces total in addition to that while you are also nursing the baby full time is A LOT to get out as well. She generally needs 25ish ounces a day and you are getting 8.5 ounces a day on top of that - and you're not even pumping while away from her then.

I pumped about every 3 to 4 hours. So I would pump right when I got to work and then 3 hours later and then 3 or four hours later again. I am away from my baby for 10.5 hours (although it could be 12 hours from nursing to nursing) and she never took more than 16 ounces in a day that entire time. She usually took around 12 ounces.

I would definitely nurse when you go home instead of pumping! That's great that you will be able to do that.

Here is a link about bottle feeding for your babysitter: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/bottle-feeding.html
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Thanks for the info/link. I will be away for 6-9 hours a day, but usually will be able to come home for lunch. Our ped told me last week that at her size she would probably consume 32 oz a day. I am not sure if he was basing that on formula oneal or what exactly. Should I continue with my morning pumping sessions like I am now, pump from one side and feed from the other, or just pump to help supply her for the day? Should I pump after she nurses at lunch also or wait 3-4 hours and pump then. Sorry I have so many questions but by the time I went back to work with my son he had been switched completely to formula....so this is new to me.