Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow weight gain

Default Re: Slow weight gain

I thought of that but I'm afraid to roll him over... he sleeps in his crib right next to me. but it's not the same thing I imagine?

So after my DS (8 weeks now) only gained 2 oz last week I've been putting the him to the breast ALL the time. A lot of the time he is not even showing hunger cues, but I just offer.
    We went for our weekly weight check today and he gained 5.1 ounces, which apparently is not enough. Last week he had only gained 2 ounces, so this is better, but still not enough... (I checked on kellymom, minimum is 5.5)
    I agree this does not sound like the primary issue is low supply. If you had low supply, why were you able to more than double baby's weekly weight gain from one week to the next by nursing more frequently?

Instead, I would suggest you continue to nurse as frequently as baby will, as that will help make sure baby gets enough while also increasing supply (frequent milk removal from the breasts is the best way to increase milk supply) and look into why, perhaps, milk transfer is down-why is baby perhaps getting less despite nuring more. I know you also have struggled with very long feedings. Have you ever tried breast compressions?

Long sleep stretches at night (or any other type of long stretches between nursing) can occasionally lead to poor weight gain and/or low supply. Yes, in the normal course of things, a baby (especially a healthy one over two weeks old) will wake and cue to nurse if they are hungry. But some babies will not. And if baby is being swaddled, or given a pacifier, or is put in some other 'keep baby asleep' device, that may interfere with a baby's normal waking/eating patterns.

I was thinking it sounds like a milk transfer issue too. However, being as he did gain 5 ounces, I think if you nurse during the night he'll gain a bit more. It may just be that he's not very efficient at removing milk yet and will get better as he gets bigger. In the meantime make it easy for him to take in milk. And yes co-sleeping that involves mom and baby actually touching is most beneficial to breastfeeding. There are ways to co-sleep safely
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

Ok, I'll be looking into co-sleeping safely.
    My husband is not a big fan, but hey, I think this is worth a try.
    I wonder about the milk transfer issue. Baby seems to drink well but falls asleep very soon into the feeding, thus the long feedings!
    I have to keep waking him up. When my breats are full in the morning he feeds very well and non-stop though!
    Could this be it? Cause the latch seems fine, I'm only occasionaly seeing a wedged nipple and it's not painful (most of the time).
    I thought by 8 weeks they were supposed to cue, be more alert, be super nursers

Meg, should I use compressions when he stops drinking or when he is drinking?
    Thank you again ladies!
    Last edited by @llli*hermione; February 14th, 2012 at 04:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Compressions are supposed to be used during the nursing session when drinking slows down or stops, but baby is still attached. The idea is to give baby a shot of milk and get baby actively nursing again. It is primarily suggested for poor milk transfer due to 'lazy' or less effective nursing and/or long nursing sessions. Dr. Jack Newman should have an article and maybe a video on breast compressions.

I guess he is a bit lazy
    Anyway, using compressions + offering very often and the baby just put on a pound in the last 10 days! phew!
    Many many many thanks for your help ladies!

That's wonderful news!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm so happy that nursing is finally working for us!
    You ladies are wonderful

Hermione you should be so proud of yourself. You have had way more than your share of issues, I think you are amazing for what you have done. Really. A heartfelt