Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow weight gain

Default Slow weight gain

So after my DS (8 weeks now) only gained 2 oz last week I've been putting the him to the breast ALL the time. A lot of the time he is not even showing hunger cues, but I just offer.
    We went for our weekly weight check today and he gained 5.1 ounces, which apparently is not enough. Last week he had only gained 2 ounces, so this is better, but still not enough... (I checked on kellymom, minimum is 5.5)
    I have to say I'm feeling so discouraged and confused. For the past 6 weeks he was gaining anywhere from 7-10 oz, so what the heck went wrong??? This is a shift from the 25th to 15 th percentile!
    The only changes were the longer stretches at night and the fact we're not using EBM bottles anymore (I would pump 2-3 times a day and bottle feed because of sore nipples).
    I checked dr newman's site and he says the most common cause of slow weight gain after good weight gain is low supply.
    I have noticed the baby fusses when the milk flow slows down, he starts crying and pulling the nipple; he started doing this the past week, so I guess I must have low supply...

My questions are:

- What should I do for him to gain according to the standards, but more importantly, like he was gaining before? Our current "schedule" is every 2 hours from 8 am- 10 pm, plus one feeding during the night when he wakes up, which is around 4 am. Do I wake him up more frequently at night? pump? i should say i'm already pumping after nursing at 4 am and 8 am, getting maybe 1 oz, and started dom (5 days ago)
    - if I have low supply, is it likely to go up if I keep this schedule? should he have gained more by now, after a week of increasing number of sessions?

Right now I feel like he is latched 24/7 and I dont mind, BUT it seem it's still not enough.
    By the way I think the latch is fine, I see him drinking, but he falls asleep very quickly, when I suspect there is more milk to drink.
    Any advice appreciated, thank you so much for your help!
    Last edited by @llli*hermione; February 13th, 2012 at 02:22 PM.

Default Re: Slow weight gain

I would try to nurse more frequently at night. What are the nights like? between 10 pm and 8 am he only nurses once?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

he nurses around 10 pm, then sleeps from 11 pm until 4 am (I wake him up, he would sleep until 5-6 am).
    Then he nurses around 8 am again (I also wake him up). He's alert and active during the day and takes a lot of short naps. He normally doesn t fuss except in the evening, I dont get the sense he is hungry...
    So should I squeeze in another session at night?

I don't think you have low milk supply. If you did he would want to nurse in the middle of the night too, don't you think? It's better to look at how much weight babies gain on average than every single week. You had a few weeks of above average weight gain and now you're having a few weeks of below average weight gain.

How many wet diapers does he have per day?
    Tracie

Mommy to

He has good output, more than 6 wet diapers and 5 poops or more...
    I know there aren't lazy babies, but could his sleepiness cause him to not eat enough?

Is someone telling you that he isn't gaining enough weight?
    Tracie

Mommy to

The nurse wasn't too alarmed but said we have to keep an eye on him and "give him another week" to see if he gains more or if there is need to wake him up for extra feeds or suplement... and I'm not a person who likes to wait and see. at least not when I could be starving my baby :S just wanted to get a sense if this is alarming or not and if so, what I can do about it

I don't think you're starving your baby. If you want to try doing extra feedings at night, it can't hurt at this point. I was told not to let my baby go more than three hours without nursing, except for one 5 hour stretch at night. But they never told me how long that should go on - and I can't remember when I stopped waking her up after five hours and she started waking up every three.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I was told that once he had regained his birthweight I could let him set the pace at night...
    I see that a lot of moms here nurse during the night but my little dude seems to like his sleep. I guess he takes after mom!
    I already feel bad cause I wake him up to nurse more often during the day :S

I don't think you have low supply or like pp said he'd be waking up hungry or not having good output.

That said, IMO if weight gain or supply is ever a question I would wake baby at night. Prolactin levels are highest at night. Co-sleeping is helpful because many babies will nurse in their sleep and babies that co-sleep nurse about twice as often as those who don't.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein