Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: BM return after a break?

Default BM return after a break?

Hi Mamas,

For medical reasons I had to stop breastfeeding for 48 hrs and dump anything I pumped during that time. Before illness I was able to pump 2-3 oz in a sitting. I've been nursing on demand since and pumping after, and can only squeak out 1/2 oz. It's been 3 days since the break ... any ideas when I might start seeing a return to normal? My little one is hungry!

Thanks for your advice/tips/tricks!

Default Re: BM return after a break?

Were you pumping before right after your LO nursed or instead of a nursing session when you pumped before? How old is your LO?

As a general rule, nursing very frequently is the best way to increase supply.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

Pumping in between feedings - about an hour and a half after a feeding and an hour and a half before the next one. LO is 3 weeks ... nursing regularly, gaining well, and a champion latcher. She's nursing every hour now ... and still fussing afterwards waning more. I know pump volume isn't an indicator, but gutt instinct says everything is a little off, ya know?

She may be fussing because she got 48 hours worth of bottles. Babies- especially young babies- can rapidly decide that they enjoy the ease of bottle-feeding and that can cause them to be fussy at the breast, or even to reject the breast outright. Watch your baby's diaper output and nurse, nurse, nurse. As long as she's making the minimum number of wet diapers in a 24 hour period, you're okay and do not need to supplement.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She may also be hitting that 3 week growth spurt, and that can make baby fussy.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I hadn't thought of that - thanks for the heads up. She isn't fitting into her newborn clothes anymore ... so growth may be a problem. It's hard when you have to go back to work and you need a supply for dad to use. If only the men in our lives could breastfeed as well ...