Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What pump do you suggest?!

Default Re: What pump do you suggest?!

At my hospital the lactation room is across the entire hospital . I would spend my whole break literally just walking to it. Otherwise that would have been the route I went. I will have to pump in our coat/locker room. Maybe I'll do the lactation room during lunch!? Or idk. I looked into renting a symphony but it was 90 a month---whew! I would be better off purchasing the thing! The lactina was 45 a month.... Does anybody have any experience with the lactina?! I've only used the symphony when I was In the hospital. My insurance also does give any breaks for renting or buying a breast pump. so I am looking around... Taking your guys advice and reading reviews! Just had mifuels two week check up and happy to hear he is growing and gaining well... So finally happy that he's doing well and getting enough breast milk!!! Thank you all for your help with that as well... Very grateful!

I used a Freestyle when I pumped at my full-time job for the first year. I liked it. I also thought Medela's customer service was beyond excellent. There's a site with cheaper price. I think I paid $225 for my Freestyle with shipping. It was crazy cheap. I think I got it at the baby side of Burlington. Crazy. Anyway, I liked the Freestyle. I think it's a good pump. If I wasn't going to get a freestyle, I'd still get a Medela. The parts are readily available at most Targets and whatnot.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Medela's CS is only good if you are the original purchaser

However, I have heard via my grapevine locally that if you call up CS, you could get a pump at 30% off. Double check that price against some of the pump sites online (that is how I got mine). Also, talk to the LC's at work; the IBCLC I work with now gives moms who rent through her an excellent price on a new pump, so they might be able to do something like at for you.

While a used pump might be OK, if you don't know its history, it's just not worth relying on. What if it's near the end of its lifespan? Or the mom who had it before pumped FT for 3 kids? Also, the Medela pumps are NOT closed systems, and they can suck milk inside, leading to mold growth, which contaminates your milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*yoginimama View Post
    I used a Freestyle when I pumped at my full-time job for the first year. I liked it. I also thought Medela's customer service was beyond excellent. There's a site with cheaper price. I think I paid $225 for my Freestyle with shipping. It was crazy cheap. I think I got it at the baby side of Burlington. Crazy. Anyway, I liked the Freestyle. I think it's a good pump. If I wasn't going to get a freestyle, I'd still get a Medela. The parts are readily available at most Targets and whatnot.
    Ummm... Looking into this! How exactly did you get this? I'll take that price any day!!!

I looked into hygeia's Susan... Again, good and bad reviews and from what I've read bad CS. Doesn't help that I'm so indecisive and now I don't know what to do!

I bought a Hygeia enjoye lbi. I'll let you guys know what I think. Thank you all for your advice... Helped guide me in doing a lot of research! .

I have a friend with that pump, and she loves it. I would have one if I didn't need a hospital grade to EP. I hear way more positive stories than negatives, so the odds are good you will like it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*miguelsmamma View Post
    Ummm... Looking into this! How exactly did you get this? I'll take that price any day!!!

I looked into hygeia's Susan... Again, good and bad reviews and from what I've read bad CS. Doesn't help that I'm so indecisive and now I don't know what to do!
    It was some weird sale. But there's supposed to be another site that's cheap online, too. But for the life of me - I can't remember the name.

Still, even if you paid $350 for a pump - you would spend that much or more on formula for 3 months. That's how I looked at it. I feel like my pump paid for itself.

I, personally, would not buy a used pump. I also would not let anybody use my pump unless I knew for SURE I was done using it and never wanted it back. It's a comfort level thing, and I'm not comfortable with it.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Just an update. I received my Hygeia on Tuesday morn. It took a little getting used to because it sounds diff. It's quieter than medela Pisa. Has less parts to clean. Is compatible with all medela pump parts tho so if I need to, I can use them. Perhaps I'm used to the strong pull of medela but this does not seem to have that. I have the speed turned up all the way and the suction almost all the way in order for me to feel like it's working. Maybe i also feel this way because it is quieter. But it does do a good job. I like the membranes better than medela--the duckbill. I can't really comment on amount of milk yet because I pump after he is done nursing if it is a short session. So the amounts vary.
    Can't stop smiling because my lil Miguel is just so amazing! Since 1/29/12 my heart is no longer my own!

I have a Medela Pump in Style Advanced double-breasted electric pump. I've had it for 2 years now, and it's still going fine. It operates off electricity OR 8 AA batteries if you need to travel and won't be near an outlet. I absolutely love this pump. It was around $250 when I bought it. Depending on how much you will be pumping, you may or may not want to spend that much. I am a working mom, and I travel frequently so this pump is fantastic for my situation.
    Proud mommy to

Tre' - 3-26-2010
    Hunter - 11-5-2011