Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What pump do you suggest?!

Default What pump do you suggest?!

I will be pumping a lot once I go back to work. And it has been suggested to me to buy a new pump. (I have a medela pisa that was given to me for free and I have no idea how much it was used.) I want to get this now so I can bank a lot of extra milk for my freezer. I am researching pumps but reviews are both good and bad for a lot of the pumps. I do have a lot of medela accessories already---and lots of medela bottles. But am open to anything that comes suggested. What does everyone suggest?! Should I rent a symphony--hospital grade?! Does anyone know how much it costs to rent usually?!

Default Re: What pump do you suggest?!

Rental adds up. $45-80/month, depending on your area. If you have one available to you for free or very inexpensively, use it.

You pretty much have your choice. I tell moms you won't go wrong with a professional grade pump. That means you spend more. No $80 pump. PISA, Freesytle, Ameda are all good choices. if you are pumping a lot at work, a new pump is your best bet. Then you know it's not been abused

I've read good and bad about Simplisse. I use a Limerick, which has a very similar action, apparently, as a Simplisse. Works well for me, but it does not for other moms.

Most moms use a PISA. I had a Freestyle and liked it do much I wore it out. Way handy to have a pump I could fit in my purse!

ETA: a lot of moms are looking at the Hygiea, and it is one I would definitely consider if I was in your shoes.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; February 12th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How old is your LO? I wouldn't start pumping too much right away just because it can mess up your supply and create too much for your LO to cope with. I pumped twice a day at work with my first daughter and I just got the cheap Evenflo double electric from Walmart. I know this isn't the "best" pump but hey it worked great for me. Still works as a matter of fact. I pump once a day right now to store up some milk for my brother's twins. And it's still got great suction and everything. I'd say try using the one you have and see how it works for you before you go out and buy one.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

We suggested a new pump in OP's other thread as she is a nurse with a tough schedule and will be depending on a good pump to maintain her supply. Sometimes used pumps are slowing down, and when mom starts using it 3-4 times a day, her supply dips because the pump just can't do the job any longer. The professional grades are meant for 400 hours of use, the cheaper pumps not even that.

I had an Evenflo for a week, and then it started making me sore and didn't work very well. Some are good, some not at all.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Yes I totally agree it depends on the person and it depends on how often you need to use it. All I needed it for was 1-2 times pumping at work only 4 days a week and the occassional bottle when going out. Plus I am very small chested so maybe that's why the evenflo works for me
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

I will check on rental fees. I think that's thevway I'm leaning if its on the low side. I liked the freestyle when I read about it, but some reviews said it wore out fast or didn't have enough suction... Susan, did you find the freestyle had comparable suction to the other pumps you've had?

I have the ameda purely yours and it's great. I used it in my EPing days with DS1 (pumped 7x/day for 8-9 months). It s also easy to pack and tote it around. I just found out the medela bottles are compatible with this pump (only the bottles not the flanges, etc)!

Yes, the Freestyle was comparable for me to the others, except hospital grade pumps. I get more milk from one of those than any other pump. But it did wear our fast
    Susan

I have a 6 year old PISA. I was an exclusive pumper for 3 months and part time pumper for another 2 months. Then I went back to work and pumped once a day for almost a year. That same pump helped my SIL keep her supply up while her daughter refused to latch. With my son, I used the pump exclusively for 3 weeks. I can't say enough good things about the pump. It is still going strong after caring for 3 babies. Keep in mind though, that it was bought 6 years ago. It is of course possible that models change and brands don't carry the same weight as they once did. But for me, the PISA was a life saver.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I have a Freestyle and have used it with good success. Sometimes the suction can seem a little low but I notice that if you unplug the suction tubing and plug back in while holding the shields in place in it resets the membranes and provides better suction. The suction/membranes work different than on a PISA/symphony and I wonder if it is just user error causing people to feel like it's lower suction.

Based on your situation from a previous post, I would recommend pumping while driving to and from work which means I would recommend an easily transportable pump (ex. PISA, Freestyle). If you got a PISA, you would have extra pump parts already so that would be nice for you.

Does your hospital provide you with a pump while at work? My hospital provides us with a Symphony in our lactation rooms which has been wonderful. Maybe you could look into borrowing a hospital pump especially since you work 7 days in a row.
    ~DD born 6/7/11
    Successfully and while at work for 1 year. Now we are still till who knows...