Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help with figuring out milk at DC

Default Please help with figuring out milk at DC

My DS is just over a year old. He's transitioned to the toddler room, and he's also transitioned from a bottle to a sippy cup. He used to take two bottles, 4 oz. each, when he was in the infant room. Then he started getting really impatient and wouldn't sit still long enough to take a bottle, but he'd take a sippy of milk with lunch and snack. Since no one in the toddler room takes bottles, we thought we'd stick to that: 4 oz. of BM in a sippy at lunch and at snack. DS did okay for about a week, usually taking 3-4 oz. of BM in his sippy for lunch and snack. But now sometimes he takes 3 oz, other times he takes 1.5-2 oz. I've been sending two 4 oz. bottles, and they just toss whatever he doesn't drink. It bothers me a little (I work hard to pump that!). Maybe it shouldn't, but it does. So, I'd like to figure out how much I should send in the bottles.

Today, I sent 3 oz. for lunch, since that seems to be when he drinks the most, and 2 bottles with 2 oz each for snack, thinking that if he finishes his 2 oz and wants more, they can just pour the other bottle in his sippy. Otherwise, they can save the bottle until tomorrow.

I don't think he technically needs to be drinking BM at DC: he nurses at least twice in the evening before bed, and probably 2-4 times overnight, though not always that long, and one short nursing session in the morning. So he's getting 4-6 sessions of nursing, and the BM at daycare is not really necessary. He just doesn't always want solids, so I want him to have something. Plus, psychologically, I feel like it's a way for me to be with him even though I'm not physically there.

Do you think it would be better to send 4 bottles, each 2 oz., and have them offer 2 oz. to start at breakfast, lunch, and snack, and then just put more in his sippy if he seems like he wants it? Or should I stick to 4 oz. bottles with the idea that, once he's used to the toddler room, he may take more at each time? I don't think DC will want to do the extra work of pouring part of a 4 oz. bottle for him, so that's why I'm trying to figure out what serving size to send.

Thanks for your help!
    First time mom to DS, born 2/21/2011.

due with #2 6/26/2014

Currently , .

Default Re: Please help with figuring out milk a

Is DC tossing the leftover amount from each cup or at the end of the day?

If he is getting enough BM from nursing sessions, what about switching one of the cups to water? Then you don't have to worry about it being discarded.
    Full time working Mom to 3, DH is my hero as a SAHD:
    DS July'09, nursed for 12 weeks
    DD1 & DD2 April'11, tandem nursed for 16 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*toddlerandtwins View Post
    Is DC tossing the leftover amount from each cup or at the end of the day?

If he is getting enough BM from nursing sessions, what about switching one of the cups to water? Then you don't have to worry about it being discarded.
    They toss at the end of lunch/snack. So, if he has 4 oz. in his cup at snack and takes 2 oz., they'll toss 2 oz. Then, he gets 4 oz. again at snack and if he takes 1.5 oz., they'll toss the other 2.5.

We should probably do water at snack. I don't know why I'm so stressed about him getting BM. I think I need to just relax.

due with #2 6/26/2014

Currently , .

I wouldn't let them toss it, but instead ask if they can offer it at the next snack time.

Sounds like you might be able to pump wean at least partially
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

My daughter had a similar transition when she restarted day care at 13 months - she took her normal bottles for about a week and then - poof! - all that stimulation and she day-weaned herself! I can't speak for pump weaning because I have to pump all of her milk (totally my fault), but if I had the opportunity to connect like that in the evning, morning and overnight I'd ditch this pumping thing asap!

You have to do what's right for you, mama, but I think your little guy would be fine with you pump weaning - particularly since he's nursing so much at home. I know just how you feel - partly sad that they don't "need" us while they're at day care all day and partly so proud of them for not needing us all day! If your son is anything like my daughter, I'm sure you know he missed you when you pick him up in the evening!
    Marley & Emily 9-24-10
    (Done as of 5-23-12)

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I wouldn't let them toss it, but instead ask if they can offer it at the next snack time.

Sounds like you might be able to pump wean at least partially
    Maybe just one sippy cup with 4oz. What he doesn't finish, they can put back in the fridge. I can't believe they've been throwing it out!!
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Well, yesterday I sent 4 bottles, each with 2 oz., and they had a 2 oz. bottle from the day before. DS took 2 oz. with breakfast, 3.5 oz. with lunch, and 4 oz. plus extra water with snack!!! So, maybe it's not time to pump wean, even partially, just yet.

due with #2 6/26/2014

Currently , .

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wiggle.bug View Post
    Well, yesterday I sent 4 bottles, each with 2 oz., and they had a 2 oz. bottle from the day before. DS took 2 oz. with breakfast, 3.5 oz. with lunch, and 4 oz. plus extra water with snack!!! So, maybe it's not time to pump wean, even partially, just yet.
    You have to do what feels right to YOU. It seems that smaller amounts are better than sending the 4 oz. and having the chance of the rest been thrown away. I personally pump weaned at 12 months and had my son drink more water and occasional cow's milk at daycare, but on my days off and every morning, evening and throughout the night (he didn't STTN until 19 month old) I BF until he was 21 months.
    Working mommy to Cat, Nikki, Brandon and baby Lucas
    exclusively for the second time!
    we made it 21 months with previous son and 9 months and counting with Lucas