Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mastitis

Default mastitis

OKAY I called my doctor last Thurs. bc of really bad pain in my breast and it being a little feverish. I was advised I has mastitis without being seen. They called me antibiotics in and I have been taking them without missing a dose and also feeding as frequently as possible. My breast is no longer swollen of feverish but still very painful. How long does it take for it to get better?
    Or do you even think I was diagnosed correctly?

Default Re: mastitis

I'd bank on mastitis, but I'm surprised they didn't see you. Do you have a history of it? Anyhow, I started getting better after only a day or two of antibiotics but really did have to keep taking the whole batch of them. Hope you feel better soon! And yes, nurse nurse nurse.

No history of it. I heard you have flu like symptoms with it and I have not had any except the severe pain in my breast, but the antibiotics seem to no be helping yet the pain is horrible..

Do you feel like there is a blockage?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I did when I called the dr. But it doesnt now. It just hurts from the inside out now : (

It sounds to me like you either have a plugged duct or possibly developed thrush from the antibiotics. Does it hurt during letdown? Burn at all?

For the mastitis and plugged duct I would put warm compresses on before nursing. I filled old socks up with rice and put them in the microwave to heat them. Nurse on the infected side first - that is when your child has the strongest suck - and perhaps try to massage the area that hurts.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Its hurts all over not just the duct and is very painful during feedings. Yes it does burn. How do you know if you have thrush? It hurts constantly!
    Last edited by @llli*babymayhem; February 12th, 2012 at 07:26 PM.

For me I knew when I had thrush because I would feel a burning, stinging pain when I would nurse. Also my nipples would hurt and burn. Did you take probiotics with the antibiotic? It's possible you have thrush. I'm on my phone so I can't link it, but check out Kelly's mom for symptoms and treatment.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

When you say you were feverish but did not have flu-like symptoms, did YOU have a fever or did only the breast feel hot? Mastitis usually feels like a blockage, and the breast feels hot but I also get a fever. I never have felt a single lump because I am large breasted, but rather the entire breast burns and hurts like mad, but all the time... not only at latch on. Thrush (as PP said, maybe even from your antibiotics) hurts me most at latch on and burns but otherwise had sporadic pain rather than the constant feeling of being tired, having a fever, and pain that came with mastitis.

It's possible you had mastitis, and now have thrush. Here is the Kellymom site PP mentioned. HTH. If it was mastitis the antibiotics work quickly so if it's been a few days and you're still not feeling well, I'd call your practitioner and ask to be seen.

ETA: Sorry I completely misread the first post, and thought it was YOU that had the fever. If it's just the breast and you never had a fever, it's possible it's been thrush all along or plugged duct, too as pp said. Hope they offer a solution and you feel better soon. Mastitis and plugged ducts and the worst, but man thrush is no picnic either. GL.
    Last edited by @llli*aphimama; February 12th, 2012 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Whoops!

I actually had mastitis with out a fever, in fact each time I have gotten I never felt a fever myself. I also always read the flu like symptoms and then thought I didn't have it! Even to the point all that was coming out of my breast was thick green puss! Finally dawned on me just like every thing else I don't feel things as intense as other people and it was probably mastitis I went on antibiotics and felt no pain with in about 8 hours. Again though I don't feel pain like most people. I have given natural birth three times and never needed pain meds, never screamed, never felt "pain" from child birth. So not every one is exactly the same with it. Now that I know what it feels like for "me" I know right away when I have it.

However, I think that you should not be experiencing pain any more. My vote is, you probably did have it, and either still have a plugged duct, or now have thrush from the antibiotics, cause by now it shouldn't hurt any more. The pain you are explaining now though really sounds like the time I had a plugged duct. What I did learn from my experience with the plugged duct, is that pain can be confusing! I kept checking one particular area, but couldn't see or feel anything, even though it hurt like crazy and was horrid when I would pump. Well, after 2 days of horrid pain, I decided, I would check my entire breast ( I have very large breast) to make sure I wasn't missing something. I found the plugged duct and it was on the completely other side of the breast from where I thought the pain was coming from! I did the palm of my hand push/rub it out thing took a while cause the stuff was so thick at first, but once the loose stuff made it fly out I felt better right away. However, it was so shocking that my body made me feel like the pain was coming from the top of my breast, but it was really on the underneath. It was bright red in the area, and when touched....yeow!

~Heather~
    Wife to
    Vincent since 2001
    SAHMommy to
    Lela 2006 EPed 2 1/2 Years
    ~Donavon & Jeremy~ 2009
    Belle 2010 Nursed over a year
    Raphael 2011 Nursing like a champ
    Raphael & Hubs

My Blog
    ~Heather's Prairie~