Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 day nursing strike: what now?

Default Re: 10 day nursing strike: what now?

As long as you are able to keep your milk supply up with frequent, effective pumping, there is always hope.

Poops are always going to tell you more than pees do about if baby is getting enough. BUT, the issue is that at this age, many babies will normally move to a less frequent pooping pattern, some will even go several days without pooping at all, and this can be totally normal & not mean anything. That is why, if in doubt, I would suggest definitely look at wet diapers, because if you don't get enough of those that could indicate a serious issue, like dehydration. But to be sure baby is getting enough to gain, if baby is not pooping at least 3 times everyday, and especially if poops getting less frequent coincided with the strike, I would also think it may be helpful to have regular weight checks, maybe weekly or every two weeks, on the same scale. What you want to avoid is going into the doctor after a month of this and finding out baby has not gained or has lost weight. This might freak everyone out and you could be told to supplement.

I am not sure if reflux would prevent a baby from nursing, as breastmilk sooths the pain of reflux. Also a baby with reflux is usually unhappy and uncomfortable. But certainly you could discuss that with the baby's pediatrician.

her poops lately have been infrequent but huge runny blowouts. not seedy or slimey, but just very runny. I'm taking fenugreek and my own stools have been looser. I wonder if it's affecting baby's too. I wonder if I should go off it to get a better idea of baby's pooping habits and consistency. i also went off caffeine. Would this affect baby in any way? Maybe she has a headache?? But I went off the caffeine when this began. Not before.

I agree about the weight checks. I'm going to dress her the same from now on. I think one time she was wearing cloth and another time disposable.

I just want this to be over and in our past!

I believe fenugreek does change the consistency of poops sometimes. But I don't think it would change frequency/amount unduly and like I said, poop frequency can be very infrequent at this age and be fine. If you feel the fenugreek is helping with supply no reason to go off it, unless it is causing you or baby discomfort.

I can not imagine you were drinking enough caffeine to cause withdrawal symptoms in baby. But that is just a guess.

Saw the IBCLC today and she was great. Baby wouldn't nurse tho, but she got to see what baby does when I attempt. Long story short, I'm offering TOO much and putting way too much pressure on baby. Her wets are good, her weight was even good. I need to follow baby's cues better. She's almost 3 months old and like someone pointed out, she is changing. I think I'm still (even tho I'm traying hard not to) comparing new baby to big sister. Big Sister would've nurse all day if I let her. Little Sister wants to nurse and then be in the action I think. She's much busier and more social. My orders were to RE-LAAAAAAX!! Pump every four hours IF baby has not nursed, let baby nap as long as she wants during the day, and only wake her up to nurse at night if it's been four hours. This will be tough for me to do because I LIVE IN FEAR that I won't make enough milk. The pedi knows she was sick or WHATEVER, so if her weigh gain stalled a little these weeks, we have an explanation.

That's great! I have the same difference between my first and second babies as well. It may change as she gets a little older.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Just wanted to chime in some encouragement. Sounds like you are doing great!!! These boards really helped me get through the tough times. You reminded me of myself when you were talking about offering too much and needing to relax-heck, I even weighed my baby's diapers to calm myself that her output was consistent because I was so scared that I wasn't producing enough. Good job and keep on top of the relaxing part :-).

oh geeze, the relaxing part is hard!! She was genuinely hungry earlier but wouldn't nurse. I put her in her co-sleeper, walked out, came back in 2 minutes and she was passed out with her thumb falling out of her mouth. can't figure this girl out. I'm off to pump just to comfort. Funny thing, I was waiting for my letdown last night and it was taking for...e...ver. So I started thinking about her birth. Nothing. Started thinking about the bath we took earlier. Nothing. Today, I'm driving down the highway randomly contemplating the "life" and times of zombies. Letdown. What on earth is wrong with me??!

I guess you should watch Walking Dead while you nurse her. You should probably have your toddler out of the room for that though.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Baby gained 4 oz. in two days! And we're all getting more sleep and all feeling less stressed. I can quit pumping and freaking out. We're past this!! I can't say enough for the IBCLC at my local health department!!

I'm back. She has only gained 2 oz. in almost 2 weeks. We have her well baby check this afternoon. I'm so nervous. After I saw the IBCLC I quit taking fenugreek and quit pumping all the time. Because they told me to quit pumping. Now I wish I hadn't! I can't be sure it's low supply, but if I hadn't quit pumping, at least I could feel better about it. I'm sick at my stomach now.