Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally freaked out! Help!

Default Totally freaked out! Help!

So I was feeling a bit more enthousiastic because I felt we were making progress with our latch issues. Nipples are not so sore so I was able to exclusively BF for the past week. In the previous weeks I would feed EBM 2-3 times daily with a bottle to give my nipples a break. Baby is almost 8 weeks old and has been gaining anywhere between 6-10 oz/week.
    But today I weighed him (always on the same scale and with the same outfit) and he only put on like 2 oz last week!!! I am so sad and worried.
    What does this mean? Could it be because I'm not giving him the bottle anymore?
    He also started sleeping more at night in the previous week (6-7 hours). I pump once during this long stretch but I don't wake him up, since he was gaining well... Could STTN have made such a big difference in weight gain? He is not compensating with extra feedings during the day... I thought we were finally out of this rough patch :/ Please help!

Default Re: Totally freaked out! Help!

The most important thing is that he is gaining. Weight gain fluctuates and when you notice a drop like that you can start offering more often. I agree that letting him sleep is a good idea (this likely wont last and you need to get sleep when you can ) I don't think it has anything to do with the bottle, but more likely it's due to him sleeping longer stretches. Try offering an extra time during the day and count wet diapers. If he is producing 5-6 wet diapers in 24 hours he is getting enough (a wet diaper is the equivalent of 4-6 tablespoons of water so you could fill an empty diaper with that amount of water and lift it to get an idea of what a wet diaper should feel like and that will give you a base for counting). Sometimes you may get a few dryer diapers and then a REALLY wet one that is the equivalent of two. It's all good as long as it balances out.

You're doing a great job mama!! The worrying is part of being a mama it seems we are always worrying about something.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Was this on a bathroom scale, a baby scale, or a professional baby scale? Bathroom scales can be off by a lot, and many baby scales are also a little dodgy when it comes to measuring oz. If you really want to measure accurately you need a professional scale, and you need to weigh baby totally naked. Sometimes an apparent slow weight gain is the difference between a baby in a pee-filled diaper and a baby in a dry diaper.

Another thing that can affect weight gain is the fact that growth isn't always constant in all dimensions. Sometimes a a baby will spurt up in height and gain relatively less weight, or vice versa.

I agree with the PP: watch diaper output and see your pediatrician if you are concerned.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Humm I'm not sure what type of scale this is... It's at the pharmacy, I think it s specific for weighing babies. It's also the same we have been using for the past 8 weeks.
    I was going to the pediatrician today anyway because DS1 is ill, so I'll ask him about this. I'm really scared he s gonna talk bottles and formula... That's what happened with DS1 when he wasn't gaining and I ended up EPing. Ugh!

PS called the LC she said it's likely related to STTN and that I should offer shorter but more frequent feedings. I'm gonna try every 2 hours during the day and also see what the ped says.

Thanks!
    Last edited by @llli*hermione; February 6th, 2012 at 07:08 AM.

I wouldn't say anything to the ped. If he picks up you are upset and nervous, then he might say bottles and formula. But if he says nothing, and the trend is good, then stop worrying.

I learned with my cleft baby, and cleft children are prime FTT candidates as they have so many feeding issues, that weight gain is in fits and starts. We would weigh him daily on a very sensitive scale, down to the hundredths, and sometimes he wouldn't gain anything. But a few days later, he would gain several ounces. I also really learned the value of watching trends and wet diapers. If the trend was good, it was good.

I would nurse very often, starting with the breast we finished on to get in more fatty milk, and see what happens.

If the ped fusses, I'd tell him I have a plan and we are doing the plan for a couple weeks first.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Diaper count seems fine (pees), although I think he is pooping less.
    I had to tell the pediatrician about this and I was surprised he couldn't care less.
    "oh relax he's gaining, all is good" he said.
    But I'm finding it hard to relax
    So if he is nursing every 3 hours, should I increase to every 2? the problem is he already nurses for 45 mi-1 hour...

Try not to freak out, baby IS gaining and weight gain rate can fluctuate and it be normal. Your ped saw the baby (I assume) and obviously thinks all is well. But I think it is a good idea to try to nurse more frequently, as I suggested in the other thread "Question about sleep and Supply," I do think 6 nursing sessions a day at this age seems low and potentially an issue. Even two or so more times a day may help a lot. You have worked so hard I would hate to see supply issues or weight gain issues derail things now that you are seeing light at the end of the tunnel. If low supply or weight gain is an issue-simply nursing more often frequently does the trick. And now that baby is bigger and presumably more efficient at nursing, more frequent feedings may translate to shorter feedings.

So your ped was OK? Just nurse a bit more
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I will do so! Thank you so much for all the advice, you guys are great!

So I'm having a hard time BF every 2 hours, cause baby isn't that interested. He falls asleep right away and he doesn't drink vigorously when I have my letdown. I'm wondering if it would be a bad thing to wake him up during the night, since he's sleeping 6-7 hours (Ped and LC said not to do it, though). Anyway I'm still pumping around 3am when he s sleeping cause I'm worried about loosing supply (since we've only been nursing around 6 times per day). Last week I was feeding him the milk I pumped at that session with a bottle to give my nipples a break. Now it's not necessary cause the latch is more comfortable (hope this lasts!!!)).
    Not really sure what the right strategy is here... Wake or not to wake? pump or not to pump? Ped said to keep things how they were, even with the slow weight gain from last week, but I feel it woul be a recipe for disaster.... Any thoughts?