Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st time breastfeeding momma! Need help

Default Re: 1st time breastfeeding momma! Need

Something else I'm thinking is that you should be pumping when you are at work for now. You are still establishing supply, so pumping after each feeding or adding sessions when you are with your baby could be confusing your body into thinking you need more milk. If you get enough from your work pumping sessions, worry about building a stash in a few weeks.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

So should I feed every 2 hours instead of 3 since I'll only be giving one side? And no he hasn't been checked for reflux.

I will have to agree with SAM. My little one is 8 weeks old and I also have a OALD she is extremly gassy and spitting up after every feeding all the time until I started letting my letdown go into a towel or lay down on your back and let him nurse. It was so bad it was like a waterfall she would be soaked and so would I. When I did that her gassyness improved and now that she is 8 weeks old she has learned to control it herself.

I'm always soaked! Thank you ladies for the suggestions I'm going to test them out hopefully something helps because I'm getting very discouraged

Don't get discouraged mama! It will be ok! Just feed when you LO acts hungry. Try not to watch the clock. If you make you LO wait to eat that can actually contribute the the OALD issues. Just watch for signs of hunger and offer the breast. If your LO takes it right away great. If not then wait a bit and try again a little later. And definitely try the letting the milk spray into a cloth.
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*candyb00 View Post
    So should I feed every 2 hours instead of 3 since I'll only be giving one side? And no he hasn't been checked for reflux.
    You should feed on demand, whether that means nursing every 3 hours or every 15 minutes. Babies don't watch clocks and neither should their mamas.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    You should feed on demand, whether that means nursing every 3 hours or every 15 minutes. Babies don't watch clocks and neither should their mamas.
    just feed when the baby is hungry. And whoever is giving bottles while you are gone should do the same.

I do feed him when he is hungry but I also offer every 3 hours regardless if he ate 2 hours or 30 minutes prior. When I left him yesterday I had an ounce for every hour I would be gone, do you think that is enough or should I leave more? All this morning I have let the let down spray in a towel and he hasn't chugged one time like he was before. He hasn't been fussy at all, but he has still been spitting up. And I tried just one side but he was still hungry after he came off and burped so Ive been giving him both sides still. I think letting the let down spray in a towel is going to work but I feel like it still may be too early to tell. Should his spitting up get better also or should I not worry about that.

I haven't read through all the responses, but you have OALD, you could feed from the one side only per feeding.

I see now that you've gotten that advice. If you can, I would keep trying to feed from the one side per feeding.
    Last edited by @llli*christinao; February 12th, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
    SAHM to all my boys

Wyatt 2/23/99
    Isaiah 7/11/00
    Hunter 2/9/10- made it through our dairy allergy!
    and loving from afar, my DSS Kaleb 3/30/97

Try to burp often. That might help with the gas and spit up. But keep in mind nothing is going to eliminate it. Babies spit up. They just do. Keep an eye on disposition. As long as he's happy you're fine. I wouldn't bother offering every three hours. Just feed on demand. Whether that's 2 hours, 4 hours or 15 minutes. Let him self regulate. Hopefully someone else can chime in on the amounts. It's been so long I don't remember.