Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st time breastfeeding momma! Need help

Default 1st time breastfeeding momma! Need help

Hi, my little boy is 6 weeks old today. Since day one I've been breastfeeding, it went perfect for the first week and I was certain that it was going to be easy from that point on. However after the first week he began to spit up, be fussy, and had a ton of gas. I recently tired switching from feeding both sides to block feeding (I thought he was not getting enough hind milk), however the block feeding did not work! He was constantly crying and it left him too hungrey. I've gone back to feeding from both sides but he is still spitting up, being fussy, and has gas (lots of it!). I went to work today (1st day back) and DH gave him bottle with my breast milk. When I got home he said that the day went great no spitting up and did not fuss one bit. I fed him from my breast at his next feeding and he spit up 2x and has been fussy. I don't know what to do anymore and I feel like giving up. Should I just pump and always bottle feed or stick it out. I'm losing hope!!!! Any suggestions???

Default Re: 1st time breastfeeding momma! Need

Does he seem fussy while he is nursing?

When I was doing the 3 hour block feeding he would by the end of the 3 hours every time. Now the I'm doing both sides again he will once in a while but not often.

Is it possible you have an over active letdown? Do you ever spray? Did you start pumping early on? How long did you try block feeding?
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Yes I do spray because he will pull off sometimes when it sprays. I started pumping week 4 to try and slowly build my supply up for work. And I tried the block feeding for almost a week and his doctor suggested I stop with the block feeding.

Maybe try shortening the blocks?

We he first latches on he chugges without a break. Should I not feed on both sides and maybe try 2 hour block scheduling?

The spray is making me think over active letdown. And that doesn't necessarily mean over supply, although they do often go together. I would try nursing laying back. Or allowing the initial letdown to spray into a towel and then latch the baby on. Maybe instead of true block feeding, perhaps only offering one breast a feeding. My son is 17 months old and still only nurses from one side. I'm on my phone but Kelly's Mom has some good advice about OALD.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html We've always fed from one side per feeding too.

Sounds like OALD which I have as well. Try just feeding one side per feeding. Not really doing a block but one feeding feed one side the next feeding feed the other side. Unless that is what you've been doing. Also try this, it really helped me until DD got a bit older and could manage the flow better. As soon as you let down have a burp cloth or clothe diaper ready and let the stream of milk spray unto the cloth until its just dripping. This really helped A2 not get so fussy and so much gas. She also had bad reflux. Has your LO been checked for reflux?
    Melissa

Young SAHM of
    Afton (A1) (1/24/09) and
    Autumn (A2) (8/29/11)

Sealed in the SLC Temple

and and now CDing!