Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Concerns about going back to work

Default Concerns about going back to work

Hello,
    I am getting ready to go back to work in 3 weeks and sending my little girl to daycare. I am a little worried because since birth, she has been breastfed on demand, has a hard time falling asleep unless she falls asleep while eating and has really been on no particular schedule for sleep or anything. I am so worried that she will just be left to cry (she refuses a pacifier) and I'm wondering if I should start trying to get her on a schedule now. Her doctor has also suggested that I try to stretch out her feeding to every 3 hours instead of every 2 which she has done since birth. This seems to go against my better judgement (maybe I am just being selfish as I want to spend as much time with her as possible before I go back to work?). Just wondering if anyone else has been in this situation when heading back to work. Thanks!

Default Re: Concerns about going back to work

How old is your baby? Although neither of mine were in daycare under a year, I do know that the infant rooms around here do everything on demand. It's not until they are in the tot area (12-18 months depending on the program) that they try to get all the kids on the same schedule. So I would talk to your daycare. Also, I would not force her into a longer time period at all. There's no reason for it and it could have negative effects - just search around this forum and see the trouble some moms have had with forced schedules or spreading out feelings.

The other thing to consider is that daycare will have to find their groove with your daughter and chances are it will be completely different than your experience with her. You are so much more than food. You are her source for life, comfort, safety and joy. But daycare will be her care. She will behave completely different. I remember being shocked to find out my daughter would nap at daycare. But never did at home.

I know it's hard. But try not to worry. work with the daycare. I'm sure they are use to it.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

If your baby would be left to cry, then it's time to look into a new daycare. Infants need to be held, fed, comforted, changed, etc., on demand. Not according to a schedule. Babies don't watch clocks and neither should their caregivers!

Your doc gave you absolutely awful advice about stretching out your baby's feedings. It is totally normal for a breastfed infant to eat every 90 minutes or so throughout their waking hours for their entire first year, though many babies eventually space out their feedings a lot more than that. The important thing is that the baby should determine her own feeding frequency. Milk is made on a supply = demand basis. Any time you restrict demand by spacing out the feedings, you risk decreased milk supply, not to mention a miserable baby who cries with hunger, unable to understand why her mother won't feed her! Stay away from schedules, mama. Nothing good comes from them.

One thing that might help your caregivers is if you send bottles which are on the small side. Breastfed babies tend to take in just 2-3 oz at the breast, maybe a bit more if they are really hungry. This is a lot less, volume-wise, than the average formula-fed baby eats. So if your caregivers have a bunch of small bottles, they can give a couple of oz every couple of hours, instead of giving your baby one big bottle every 3-4 hours. More labor-intensive for the caregivers, perhaps, but better for baby!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was very anxious to put my DD in daycare at 3 months. She hated my DH at the time and I thought she would be inconsolable and cry all day. But she was fine! They feed her on demand, 3 oz bottles. She naps when she wants to. I agree that if your caregiver is letting her cry, find a new one. It was really really hard at first, but it got better and they have their own routine.
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Oh and I would say, no need for a schedule. Just feed on demand!
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!