Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Replacing membranes

Default Replacing membranes

Hey ladies! I have a Medela Freestyle pump. I pump about five to six times a day. How often do I need to be replacing the membranes, roughly? I know that if my production goes down that's a sign they need replacing, but I'd like to stay ahead of that as I'm having trouble as it is just keeping up my production and would rather avoid any dips. Thanks!
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

Default Re: Replacing membranes

It depends on your usage. I replaced mine every 3 weeks, even using it an average of 2x a day, but I'm hard on pumps.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Susan, what kind of pump do you have? Back when I was usind the Medela single battery-operated pump, I only had to replace the little white flexible disks that were cheap. But the Medela Freestyle that I have has a whole set of parts that make up the breastshield connector: the two plastic pieces that fit around the membrane and the membrane itself. I did a search for membranes and found that you can only order the Spare Parts Kit that comes with the whole breastshield connector. If I just need to replace membranes then I'm curious why I can't order just membranes somewhere (I checked Medela's site as well and they don't appear to provide them separately).

I'm wondering if I'm misunderstanding how often to replace the membranes for my particular pump, or if I'm SUPPOSED to replace the entire breastshield connector. That seems awfully wasteful. Anyone have this pump and can set me straight?
    First-time mom to Markus, August 17, 2011.

I wore out a Freestyle I didn't have to replace that one as often, but yes, I bought a whole second set of those connector things.

You could ask Medela what they suggest.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Hmm... Totally didn't know about this. Do you know why they need to be replaced?! I want to know what to look for. How do you know if you are "rough" on pumps?