Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some encouragement

Default Need some encouragement

DD is 2 weeks today and things are going a million times better than they were with DS but we've hit a road bump. In trying to get a good latch DD is on and off the nipple multiple times which is getting frustrating for both of us. She was doing a pretty good job of latching and all of a sudden she seems to just want the nipple which is causing us to unlatch and relatch even more so now she hardly stays at the breast long enough for the first let down. I have extremely sensitive nipples so she has to be on just right to be comfortable, and comfort nursing is almost out of the question. Which of course is what she would like to do all evening. Not to mention the clicking she's doing to try to control the flow I think. Ugh sorry for the ramble, I just needed to vent a little.
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14
    born all natural 11/4/14 nursing like a champ and growing like a weed!

Default Re: Need some encouragement

. Hang in there mama
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

See a LC? Clicking makes me think that either there's a fast letdown issue- which would jive well with the frequent unlatching and the sore nipples- or that baby has a tongue tie
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks mommal I may see a LC just to help but she's defiantly not tongue tied. Actually she has very little frenulum at all. That was one of the first things we looked at after birth since her brother was tied. She is upper lip tied but I'm not sure it's affecting us like DSs did.

BTW it seems it's mostly the tip of my nipple that hurts. Is it possible to get it to far in their mouth?
    Last edited by @llli*browncow; February 10th, 2012 at 04:26 PM.

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    1/1/14

What does your nipple look like when she unlatches?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Excellent question from the PP.

It is not possible to get the nipple too far back in baby's mouth. Nipple pain from a poor latch generally comes from the nipple being compressed between the moving tongue and the hard palate. If you put your fingertip on the front of your tongue and suck, you'll feel a lot of movement and pressure from the tongue. If you put your fingertip on the back of your tongue, under the soft palate, and suck, you will feel relatively little motion on the fingertip. That's the ideal position for the nipple to be in: on the back of the tongue, almost down to baby's throat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hum, I'm not sure what she's doing to it. My nipple is usually pretty symmetrical coming out of her mouth, like an eraiser. Sometimes it's pressed flat. It hasn't been lipstick shaped but a few times.

SAHM to:
    1/1/14